Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the difference between DSPs and MCUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
im new to microcontrollers so im trying to learn about them as much as i can.

what is the difference between digital signal processors and microcontrollers. can a microcontroller do the job of digital signal processing? ive heard of the dsPIC which is a microcontroller developed by Microchip that also performs the functions of a DSP. are there any other microcontrollers that can perform the functions of DSP.

does the difference between a DSP and MCU lie in the hardware or the software?

any help will be appreciated

Sam :

As i recall this subject was already discused ,and i invite you to do a search at elektroda ..you should find plenty of information on dsps

DSP: faster speed,mostly for digital process.
MCU: more power IF function

I've noticed lately that the differences between DSPs and MCUs are tending to disappear. I use Motorola DSPs (56800 series) and they are as simple to use and program as an MCU.

The real power comes when you optimize your software for signal processing, especially if you program in assembly language.

I must say that regarding programming in C, it is almost the same to program both. Regarding the tasks they perform, they are used in different environments: DSP for fast signal processing, and MCUs for control and other applications.

Mariano

when ya need high performance,lots of operations you may use
DSP but when a low price,low performance and may be some peripherals
are needed your choice is a MCU

To settle this question i think i have a nice answer:
The diffreence of a DSP and a standard general purpose MCU is
the FREQUENCY level of the signal that they can process ..

A very powerful MCU would not be able to process a much higher frequency signal as DSP could. Beacuse of the optimized architecture ..

But for some frequency low enough both could be equivalent !
then i would be a matter of price ....and it matters !

The traditional function of DSPs are to simply fulfill the Multiply-and-Accumulate (MAC) operations efficiently. It's a simple process, but could be used to fulfill the task of digitally filtering signals.
The traditional role of microcontrollers is to allow for decision-based (ie IF-branching) control.
Of course, nowadays you have DSPs with microprocessor functionality and uCs with multiplier functionality. In general, DSPs are used to execute mundane tasks at an efficient rate. uCs are used to execute more complicated tasks that require more processing, and hence longer execution time.

Status
Not open for further replies.