Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between DirectX and OpenGL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmelek1

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
opengl vs directx

hi
what is the difference between directx and opengl
thanks

Re: opengl vs directx

They are all graphic APIs. OpenGL comes from SGi as well as DirectX from microsoft. These two APIs have same functionality but use different function set.

DirectX is only natively known to Windows OS (and probably XBox's OS ), while OpenGL is an industry standard that is widely used in Unix-like environment and also Windows. DirectX is "all in one" API, that handle a lot of stuff, not only graphics like OpenGL, but also Sound (DirectSound), Force feedback Input (DirectInput), etc. The couterpart of OpenGL in DirectX is Direct3D.

opengl vs directx

Yes, Direct3D should be compared with OpenGL and the rest of directx is for doing some other tasks. As you know the main aim of directX is to help game developers doing they work faster.
Direct3D has the same capabilities as OpenGL. Once I tried to develope a simple OpenGL program. As you know there are lot's of examples and development resources however it took me some thing near one week to write a simple program. generally I think that DirectX has more examples, books and resources than OpenGL.
One anothere very important point is hardware support. As you know, the graphic card itself should support each version of OpenGL and directX.
I think that OpenGL will go to die some day and directx will remain.

thank u very much for your replies
could u please tell me:
1- Which is more powerful
2- Which is simpler to use
thanks in advance

I believe that:
1- If you want to use it for making an industrial application then OpenGL can be better since it is a kind of standard for developing these kind of applications.
2- I think that DirectX is better and easier to learn than openGL and I think that it is more powerful for normal applications such as games. Microsoft is highly working on DirectX. If you install the directX SDK ( downloadable for free from microsoft ) you will see lot's of examples. generally these examples are enough for making simple applications, you just change some part of the example.
For me, it took me some thing near two weeks for get familiar with DirectPlay classes.
Any how, I should mention one really important point: You should be, a good VB or VC++ programmer, otherwise, nothing will be obtained from directx.

Another option is Java 3D.. if you use POO, looking in
h..p://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/

opengl vs directx

Then I only found some documents about OpenGL. Some ebooks like Programming with OpenGL,... but I can't find any book like that with DirectX. Would you please show me?
thanks and best regards.

opengl vs directx

Hi,

There are anywhere from 10-30 books on DirectX programing at any good book store...Probably have a rough time getting more than a book or two on OpenGL for the reason that MS dominates writers and book pubs alike!

opengl vs directx

I think another reason for that DirectX is more popluar then openGL is that the game vendor always support DirectX in Windows environment, but seldom or never support openGL in Linux. If game vendor can support porting into linux, there would be a excellent chance to promote openGL..:wink:

opengl vs directx

hi,
Opengl more powerful in graphics and easier to learn,
directx good in sound related issues.

Direct3D is more powerfull on 3d graphics than opengl. All graphiccards in sub $ 1000 class are optimized for Direct3D.

opengl vs directx

Yes! DirectX 9.0 powerfull. I want to programming DirectX 9.0 (with c#). But ebooks for DirectX 9.0 ????. hmmm.
Opengl is only programming with Visual C++?

opengl vs directx

hi,
Opengl is not supported via C#, so u have to use VC++, also i personally think VC++ is better for any graphics programming for speed considerations.
Opengl is easier to learn if u r a beginner, once u master the basic principles using opengl then shifting to Direct3d etc... is easier

opengl vs directx

OpenGL is cross platform, so you game can migragte to unix. and 2.0 version also support high level shader language. so it has the same power with directX

but MS is too powerful, and almost all game uses dx, OpenGL is popular for study and work(professional software)

hi
basquang said
Yes! DirectX 9.0 powerfull. I want to programming DirectX 9.0 (with c#). But ebooks for DirectX 9.0 ????. hmmm.
Opengl is only programming with Visual C++?

direct x 9.0c sdk contains a good documentation and tutorials for coding in c# u can download last version.............u will find it in the topic of maganged directx

about opengl.......no it is not only programmed by vc++ there are some libraries that enables u to use c# to program with opengl.........just search google

opengl is easier than directx as what i think ........but as i prefer to use c# ....directx is supported from microsoft....

directx contains more powerfull libraries than in opengl.......but it is more difficult

I think DirectX is more power than OpenGl. With DirectX you can do many thing with your computer and besides it fully support by Windows OS and Microsoft. Programming with DirectX API is difficult because you must write code with VC, but with the DirectX version for Managed code (C#, VB.Net) the work nowaday more easy.

DirectX is used in most game today, and OpenGl used in CAD and model tool for Architect.

If you find diffcullty in programming OpenGL with VC, you can use the lib for .NET language. This version can be download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/csgl/
This is the OpenSource Version. With this version, you can write program easeier than before, and it companion with many ex, so you can learn many from this.

opengl vs directx

For portable application -> OpenGL

DirectX is a closed API of Microsoft so you can code only for Windows.
OpenGL as I know is easier to learn than DirectX and with the 2.0 revision it is as powerfull as Dx so it is compatible with the shading language.
If you look for a not only Graphics API then you can try SDL that uses OpenGL for graphics and makes easy to code sound, input, cdrom access, etc.
OpenGL is also more professional as the biggest companies make use of it.
OpenGL is totally portable to Unix environments like Linux but also Mac, which it means you can make an application and then release a version for other O.S.
There are lots of easy tutorials all over the net. One good place to learn is nehe.gamedev.net .
OpenGL comes with the most common compilers. Borland, VC, MinGW, gcc.
I really don't see any reasons to code in DirectX rather than OpenGL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back