Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between bootloader and programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcs81

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tomcu

HI all,

I am new to PIC mcu. However, i do know some basic as shown as following diagram.

My question are, what is the different between bootloader and programmer?
Are they the same?

Is bootloader also consider a ICSP?

The "software for communication" is to put the hex code to mcu via computer and the hardware is the programmer. my question is, how can we use hyperterminal to do this?

at last, is the diagram genral to all MCU?

Thanks

Re: New toMCU (programmer)

I'll try to answer your questions.

My question are, what is the different between bootloader and programmer?
Are they the same?

Bootloader and Conventional Programmer are not the same in many ways. Here are some differences:
1. Hardware - in bootloader you only need to convert the serial level from RS232 to TTL level. Conventional programmer needs more than this.
2. Software - software are different from one another.
3. Interface - in bootloader you only need to control a minimal of two pins the tx and rx (hardware uart), wherein in programmer you need data, clock, vdd and vpp.
4. Device - there are only few device supported by bootloader (device with built in uart)

Is bootloader also consider a ICSP?

Bootloader can be used to program device while it is in the cuircuit.

The "software for communication" is to put the hex code to mcu via computer and the hardware is the programmer. my question is, how can we use hyperterminal to do this?

I don't have an idea for this. I don't believe it is that easy.

at last, is the diagram genral to all MCU?

No, the programming pin is different for the device with different numbers of pin.

My answers may not be 100% correct but it may be of help.

:D Happy Programming :D

Try this link

Thanks to Normad13 for replay.

But yet, for bootloader (hardware),can we write one program on our own? if how can we do it? Any material for this?

Also, i read in some where, it say before we use bootloader, we required to use the programmer for once-off progrmming is it true?

Can we just use bootloader without any other hardware to program the pic mcu?

Thanks

Also, i read in some where, it say before we use bootloader, we required to use the programmer for once-off progrmming is it true?

Yes

Can we just use bootloader without any other hardware to program the pic mcu?

You need to put the bootloader file on the microcontroller so that it can interpret the incoming signal as program.

About programmer, is the software use for programming (sending hex code to pic) only match it's own hardware programmer?

Actually how the pc communicate with the pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.