Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between AC and DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoshalagawadi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Basic

What is the difference between AC and DC
other than general concepts which is good book to refer to this concept

Basic

DC is an electrical energy with zero frequency, but AC has frecuency that con goes from nearly zero hertz to gigaherz.

DC has only one parameter 5Volts or -7.5 Volts.
AC has several parameters, frequency, Peak Voltage, shape like sinusoidal, triangular, square, another one is the RMS value, another is the offset or direct component of the AC.

Re: Basic

u r saying that u know the basic concept, so furthermore read book by B.P LATHI......

Regards

Hi,
Dear
AC
DENOTES ALTERNATING CURRENT.
WHILE
DC
DIRECT CURRENT A CURRENT IN WHICH THERE IS NO ANY RIPPLES

dear freinds
please dont give me bookish answer
i want to know how actually AC is generated
talk about the Shocking due to AC and DC
Santosh

AC: A current is induced in a coil of wire by passing a magnet over the coil. In an alternator, each pole of the magnet passes the coil, and depending on which pole, a + or - voltage is created. Because the magnet is turning past the coils, each pole will pass by the coils, inducing a voltage which goes from zero to peak plus, back to zero, then to peak minus, and again back to zero at 360 degrees.
As far as shocks, I have heard that an AC shock tends to throw a person, while DC causes them to grip more tightly, but I'm not sure how true this is. I do remember back in the days of vacuum tubes, with their 350 volt power supplies, getting thrown across the room by a shock, though.
I hope this sheds some light on your question.
Regards,
Robert

Frequency characterizes DC and AC best.
Most of electronic circuit book you used in undergrad will work fine.

As for as shocking is concerned...

I have heard AC shock throws the person, because what i feel is since AC swings in both + and - directions when it passes through the negative direction the person doesnt feel any shock and is released with a force by which he was attracted.

DC doesnt change directions so the person is not thrown.

But I am not sure anybody can correct me if I am wrong.

regards,
Prasanna

electrical volumes by BL Theraja are the basic books

prasannavenkatesh krishna said:
As for as shocking is concerned...

I have heard AC shock throws the person, because what i feel is since AC swings in both + and - directions when it passes through the negative direction the person doesnt feel any shock and is released with a force by which he was attracted.

DC doesnt change directions so the person is not thrown.

But I am not sure anybody can correct me if I am wrong.

regards,
Prasanna

if ampere is more for DC than that of AC, it could be fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.