Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the definition of Star ground and what is it used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See **broken link removed**

jzo

A star ground is the point where all your various grounds meet.
Example, Analog ground and Digital ground.
This is normally at a power input connector.

Phil 8)

Do U design for Analog Device Company?, I have been design for Analog Device, they like use star GND, it seem like test point, at this point they can connect AnalogGND and Digital GND each other, but i don't know why they connect it together, I will inform U when I have information

Regards

Star grounding is

All your grounding points,. IE. transformers, smoothing, sockets, PCB boards, chassie connections all come to gether at ONE CENTRAL POINT . It takes its name from the apperance that the connections have , it looks lick a star .

Barrybear

noise reduction

This method is for noise reduction. The currents for all stages do not flow through common inductances. As the frequency becomes larger, the inductance of the ground wires to the common point makes high reacctances which affects the circuit performance. Therefore, at higher frequencies a ground plane is used for ground. As someone said above, the digital and analog ground planes are connected at a point.

Re: What is Star ground?

Hi

is it used also to avoid ground loops ?

salam
hindi

What is Star ground?

If anything, I would think that it increases ground loops since you aren't on a plane, and you have to travel down a trace.

What is Star ground?

It is necessary to minimise the introduction of DC offsets and noise into the signal return paths for different parts of system (analog baseband, digital baseband, audio amplifier, LCD controller, power cct, RF tranceiver - mobile phone circutry is a good example). For eg. special care must be taken to separate the signal ground from the power at a start, such that no power current will flow through any signal line ground.

doesnt it create common loops? hence mutual inductance?

It's not created the common loop. It's actually spread as the lines from one point. So if you don't make the loop later on, there would be no loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back