Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best way to select a FPGA for a required design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delay

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FPGA selection

What is the best way to select an FPGA for a required design beside number of gates/speed/power/IOs?

Thanks,

delay (delayed by technology)

Re: FPGA selection

I think you should consider FPGA's package, cost.

best regards

delay said:
What is the best way to select an FPGA for a required design beside number of gates/speed/power/IOs?

Thanks,

delay (delayed by technology)

FPGA selection

IO standards it supports; if u are going for platform FPGAs what features you need (like embedded processor, embedded transcievers etc), Cost is also a real issue.One more think will be a packages which are available.

regards
Sandeep

u work on the best fpga at first, simulate it and make sure it works fine

then see how much gates and i/o pins it took then choose the cheapest that

acommodate the results.note u dont need to buy one unless u check its behavior

with the synthesizer and the simulator.

good luck.

FPGA selection

the important aspect is wether the IO number satisfy ur need.

The best way to choose is to make a list of ur requirements and then go on a specific vendor's website and then select any one.

FPGAs come in many variety so it is important for u to identify ur requirements.

FPGA selection

Number of gates doesn't work for me.

I study the available chips to see how fast they can go with a comfortable amount of pipelining. Then I estimate my number of register bits, number of memory blocks, number of multipliers, number of I/O pins, etc. Then I choose a Virtex or Spartan family device that's plenty big enough. I try to use the slowest available version, becase that saves money. I choose a popular package, one that's available with several different FPGA sizes, so I could someday install a larger chip without modifying my PC board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back