Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best tools to simulate PLL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With eldo XL you can divide your circuit in analog and digital part, it could improve the speed of your simulation without precision lack.

If you use PLL chip from Analog Device, they have a PLL simulation software which can be used to simulate system behavior such as reference spur suppression , lock time, phase error.

Hi,
I have been recently working on PLL designs. My experience has been either use of ELDO from Mentor or go in for HSpice. But using HSpice will give you convergence problem. If you have Cadence IC then Spectre is the best.

I have worked on all the three simulators.

Cheers,
Gold_kiss

Maltab + Hspice

Matlab--- system paramters
Hspice--- timing simulating

In my experiment . You can use Hspice or spectre-Rf
to run simulation , and you can use nanosim,hsim ,adit to run the fuction .

I think the precision depends on how to model your PLL. If you can model it precisely, behavior simulation result could be close to your circuit simulation result. First, you can build your part with Spectre Verilog, then replace then with real circuit and run simulation with spectreRF.

I think ads is the best. You can try. Accuracy and speed are the countpart. u can't get good accuracy with fast speed .
It's my option.

As I known,the pll tool include in many EDA suite,such as genesysADSdesigneraplac...

There are also have the web tool from www.national.com and www.analog.com

The key problem is the device model,such as VCO,devider and PD,and opamp.

From my experience, I have to say. EverCAD's ADiT!

I was using Silvaco for PLL on windows. It took me 2 weeks.

With ADiT, it took me 3 days and 10hours.

Results.. very accurate too. =)

obrian said:
From my experience, I have to say. EverCAD's ADiT!

I was using Silvaco for PLL on windows. It took me 2 weeks.

With ADiT, it took me 3 days and 10hours.

Results.. very accurate too. =)

ADiT can measure the jitter of output clock directly. :D
I like it.

I have experience with SpectreRF from CADENCE. In this simulation environment, you can simulate the PLL on different levels. HDL (like Verilog-A), circuit level or both together.
For a transient analysis up to 200ms of Verilog-A, SpectreRF needs approximately 3 minutes without RF and ca. 45 minutes with RF (2.5 GHz). The models take some important non-linear effects into account (!).
However, Verilog-A should be slowly replaced by Verilog-AMS which brings more support for Analog-Mixied-Signal.

iyad
Greeting.

It's incredible, but Analog Devicess PLL tool is very good for filter design.

I have used spectraRF and ADiT. They both have their own advantages.
I advise both.

spectraRF and verilog AMS is the best .

you can use systemvision as a simulator for VHDL-AMS and it also have spice simulator so you can simulate behavioral models beside the spice models.

software ecircuit is a useful behavior modelling
software, if you use it with a good model generated
by spice, then that will be very useful

flyinspace said:
I think the Hspice is to slow to

analyze the transition analysis.
Someone told me to use the behavior model such as verilog_ams to simulate the PLL.
But I think the precision is not good.
Do you believe which EDA tool more adapt to do it?
Thanks.

Dea All :

I use starsim to fastly modify my pll circuit. It is a fast simulation tool.
The simulation result is 10%~15% error compare to hspice simulation result.

Finally, I use hspice to check pll circuit which is match my specifications or
not.

I know Eldo is a fast simulation tool,too.

I hope I can help you.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.