Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best microcontroller kit for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebgar

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Getting started with pics and microcontrollers. I know basic electronics and programming (c++, java,...)

I would need a basic (although not SO basic) kit including software for pc, to write the code, and the device that connects to the pc to program the pic.

I've been looking all over the internet not sure really which one is best.

Any recommendations for a good kit?? And which pics should I start using?

Thank you

Re: microcontroller kit?

Hello!

You may consider first buying this kit.
It's quite basic, but the emulator is included in the price. You just buy it for a bit more than 4 USD,
plug it and it just works. Beside this, you can also use this kit as an emulator if you make your own
board. By the way, it's not a PIC. Do you have any specific reason to choose a pic?

Dora.

Hello,

Getting started with pics and microcontrollers. I know basic electronics and programming (c++, java,...)

I would need a basic (although not SO basic) kit including software for pc, to write the code, and the device that connects to the pc to program the pic.

Thank you

I don't recommend the LaunchPad for beginners. I think it is very confusing and targeted to hobbyists who already know microcontrollers. The PicAxe is inexpensive and easy to program.

Hello,

Thank you
Breadboard and a MCU

Hello!

Can you be more specific about what is specifically confusing?
I don't think it's harder (neither easier) to understand than any other platform,
and like any other platform or like learning how to ride a bicycle, it's basically
a matter of practice. Launchpad is just a cheap solution among others, and I
don't think it can be ruled out for its (supposed) complexity or confuseness.

Dora

I don't recommend the LaunchPad for beginners. I think it is very confusing and targeted to hobbyists who already know microcontrollers. The PicAxe is inexpensive and easy to program.

Yes, the LaunchPad is a cheap solution, but they haven't made it easy to use for beginners....like the BASIC Stamp. Beginners aren't going to understand that you have to choose this-or-that oscillator configuration, that you have to setup the timer a certain way, or turn on interrupt (even the idea of interrupts), just to do simple things like blink LEDs and such. The BASIC Stamp and the PicAxe (which is much cheaper than the Stamp) have definitely made it easy for beginners by taking the programming details out of it.

TI also should have developed a version of the compiler IDE that was just for LaunchPad so that you don't have to go through a bunch of options to setup a simple program. Again, see the Stamp and PicAxe for better implementations.

I suppose you are right, the Launchpad should be suitable for a serious beginner.
I did not have a Launchpad but I used an MSP before and it was quite interesting.
But DIP 20 pins seems too limited.
In fact, I would like to sugest the STM8S-Discovery (with STM8S105) and
would like sebgar to read my blog at Microcontrollers for Hobbyists.
But it appears that sebgar is not in the discussion.

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

I mean "doraemon" is right, the Launchpad should be suitable for a serious beginner.

Thanks for all these replies! how about picKit 2 starter kit bundle? i heard a lot about this one.

@mCtlrHobby: i'm here! it was a long weekend here :) took a quick peek at your blog, very interesting, i'll read it throroughly later with time. Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Thanks Dora, no not particular reason, just looking to learn about microcontrollers and pics in general. this seems a pretty good choice for that money.

Last edited:

Re: Suggest me the best microcontroller kit for beginners

PICKIT 2 is only for PIC controllers.. If you want to start with PI then it is good.. but later if you wish to enhance knowledge with higher version of PIC then PICKIT2 may not support.. you have to then go for PICKIT3... check the controllers it supports and then go for it.... or else go for PICKIT3...

Re: Suggest me the best microcontroller kit for beginners

is there any open source pic programming & development kit is available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back