Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best laptop to buy for engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks1267

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to run a lot of programs such as matlab, autocad. Is macbook a good laptop for engineering student? or we should stay away from macbook? I am thinking to go for IBM T410 or 410s but I think I can buy another cheaper laptop (different model, made) with the same spec. Any suggestion or other interesting model? Please suggest.

Have you checked to make sure there is a Mac version of every program you want to use?

I have both a Macintosh and a Windows computer. I have not used the programs you named.

When software is made to run on Windows machines, the company spends more time and money to develop it. This is because they know where the largest market is.

On the other hand the Macintosh market is smaller. So it's common for the Macintosh version to omit some features.

Since a few years back, Macintoshes have the ability to run Windows OS. It is or was called Boot Camp. My older Mac can't do that so I'm not an expert. Can't say which Macbooks will run which Windows OS, or what amount it costs.

To look at specs see websites:

Low End Mac: Worth It!

and

Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996

As for running the matlab and autocad i dont think to go for mac and all.
since as you are telling you are a engineering guy you can get any dell laptops but make sure that the RAM is more than 2GB preferebly go for 4GB RAM it will be helpfull for the faster execution of your matlab and autocad programs.

Thank you.

Thank you for both of you. I have decided not to go for mac now because window will run better on the program I use.
Can you please see these 2 laptops. They are very cheap for such spec. Can you see and let me know if it's good one. they both have 6GB memory and intel core i5

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

and what about this one

Acer Aspire 5942G Core i5 Laptop LX.PZY02.082 - Acer Direct

Thank you.

As of now for Engineering IBM or Dell is better option...And RAM is 3GB/4GB is ok..for running matlab and autocad programs....

there is no need to buy mac to instal / work MATlab/labview/Autocad ,it wil work any P4 Pc .but the speed and the multitasking may be different.
prefer Dell laps . you must select which speed and memory you want and then buy

Hi
Buddy instead of going for acer, i prefer you to go for the DELL its performance is good..
thanks

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Hi
Buddy instead of going for the ACER i still prefer you to go for the DELL..
Thank you

It is better to go for LENOVO. With 8gb RAM and i7 second generation processor you will get the best performance.

top selling well for 2010
dell
acre
mac
toshiba

Acer will have better performance over price.

I have to run a lot of programs such as matlab, autocad. Is macbook a good laptop for engineering student? or we should stay away from macbook? I am thinking to go for IBM T410 or 410s but I think I can buy another cheaper laptop (different model, made) with the same spec. Any suggestion or other interesting model? Please suggest.

for all ur purpose u might need to have configurations
>4gb ram
>320gb hdd
i5 or greater processor
512 graphics for high end apps(not sure)
3 or 4 usb ports

u might also need serial and parallel ports if doing microcontroller programming etc.. so u can use usb to serial or usb to parallel converter.
any laptop with these configurations might help you

hope it helps

lenovo series is also OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.