Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best code for planar patch antenna array synthesis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'ld like to know which is the best code about planar patch antenna array
sinthesis in terms of modelling of elements mutual couling, edge effects.
I've been using ASAP, PCAAD. Do you know other not e.m. softwares?

Thanks in advance

Lupin

pcaad 6.0

ya.. about sof, search in this category for NEC software.. I've added it in a previous post.

about references: Balanis book... it's Antenna analysis and design... you will find a lot.

if you want omething special, post exactly what you need.. I'll try to help u.

Reactions: smida

smida

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
planar array matlab code

If you array is large, There is not this type software by now. you may use IE3D to try.

planar array antenna matlab code

Hi:

These days, I am also interested in coupling
between patches.

Can some one give suggestion about
Cavity model?

Div

linplan antenna

div,
Can you tell us why you are interested in the mutual coupling?

linplan download

Are you interested about mutual coupling in terms of S- parameters or in terms of element pattern corruption?
For what concerns the model I prefer the Full-wave Analysis.

Regards
Lupin

My interests:

Patch antenna, slotted patch antennas, phased arrays, microstrip and strip-line components.

ensemble

Ensemble may be good for this....

I'm looking for a code for Analysis (and Sinthesis) of antenna array.
ASAP is quite unfriendy to use and the mutual coupling is not rigorously considered. Ensemble for large arrays takes a lot of computing time and the results are not so precise especially for multilaye structures. So I don't prefer an e.m. code.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Lupin

Reply loucy

Well.
I want to calculate the mutual coupling of
two open-ended parallel-plate waveguides.
So, actually I am not simulating/designing antenna.
And I just care about near field.

Div

loucy said:
div,
Can you tell us why you are interested in the mutual coupling?

reply lupin

I need to build the equivalent circuit of the mutual
coupling finally, so S parameter is one of the interests.

Full-wave analysis is OK, but I donot need a very accurate
response, and that is why I may choose "cavity model"
for the modeling.

Regards
Div
___
Are you interested about mutual coupling in terms of S- parameters or in terms of element pattern corruption?
For what concerns the model I prefer the Full-wave Analysis.

Regards
Lupin

I've my own code in Matlab for planar array antennas analysis. I'ld like to exchange results with someone...

Regards
Lupin

Lupin,

I'm starting to do project with array antennas sysnthesis ...

I need some example Matlab code to learn and to start with,

Can you share your code with me ?

Best reagards,
TIA,

Hi Dderijken,
In what type of array are you involved? Planar or conformal?
What parameters do you have to optimize?
My own code must be checked, for the configurations I've used
the agreement with codes like PCAAD is very good....
Anyway, I want to check other layouts.
For the moment, I can suggest you to download PCAAD, LINPLAN for the analysis...For the optimization, depending to the parameters you have to optimize, look for the formulas common in litterature.
Are you skilled in MatLab language?
Are you considering the mutual coupling, BFN effects in your optimization?
If you need help about the optimization, ask me about it. Array optimization is one of my interests.

Regards
Lupin

Hi Lupin,

>>In what type of array are you involved? Planar or conformal?
hehe ... I'm just a newbie ..so let me start with Planar then ...

>>What parameters do you have to optimize?
You ask me difficult question ? ... hehe ..I'm not that far ..hehe ..
I am asked to optimized for the side lobe of the scanned patterns...
Tha't s all waht I known ... i just known too little to tell ... :) :) ...

>>Are you skilled in MatLab language?
I don't have much skill in Matlab ..However i can read
Matlab and understand the program if I have those m-files.

>>Are you considering the mutual coupling, BFN effects in your optimization?
At this moment not yet ...But, I afraid that my instructor will
ask that in later stage ...

>>If you need help about the optimization, ask me about it.
>>Array optimization is one of my interests.
Thanks very much for your generous offer ..
I will keep this in mind and come back later to you when I need.

Thanks and,
Have a nice day,

PS: can you send the code via E-mail

As I said you before, I've to finish to check my code with litterature results and with other commercial and uncommercial codes (although it's not easy to find people who have codes and available to exchange their results...)...
Maybe you could find and send me some article about phased array so I can compare the results and optimize the computation time of my code (at the moment it's about 1 minute to evaluate 4 cuts and 1 contour plot for a planar array of 3 x 6 elements).
Then, if you need an optimizer, I can find material about it, implement a dedicated code...It should not be difficult for me to write it. You should help me to get all the possible material.
I think that the best thing to do is the cooperation...

Regards
Lupin

Lupin said:
Maybe you could find and send me some article about phased array so I can compare the results and optimize the computation time of my code (at the moment it's about 1 minute to evaluate 4 cuts and 1 contour plot for a planar array of 3 x 6 elements).....

I think that the best thing to do is the cooperation...

Regards
Lupin

Hi Lupin, ...

hehe ...it seems that your Code is too complicated
than what I thought ... are you student or teacher ?? ....

I have classroom -project : I have to simulate a
planar array of 2 by 4 elements (all have same phase) at 10GHz ...

I'm just a student .. This topict is rather complicated for
me ..but not for You guest ..... :) ..:) ...

I don't know how to start with this topic ..
However, It's the best way to start with somone's code ..
from this I can learn other ideas, techniques .. and
built up sufficient knowlegde in order to go on with my own topic.

So, If you have any code .. Please share with me ..
I really need any simple code to start with ...

If you want to test your code for complicated configuration,
Just tell me which configuration you want to test ...
I will try to find ..in the IEEE,IEE literature in our Library.
If I find them ..I will send to you immediately.

TIA and Have a nice day,
With kind regards,
Dany,

I have work with patch antennas, and the simulation with ensemble it's aceptable... but with some models I have had serious problems ... the simulation was realy a nonsense. I have test CST (version 3.4) with realy good results... so I think that this version or 4.0 must be a realy good choice.

TaPa

Tapa: Ensemble code is accurated but it's a 2.5 D software.. If you have complex transictions, you have to use or CST, or HFSS.. direct competitor... Someone says that CST us good for "closed structures" and HFSS for "radiating structures".. In my opinion, they are both for every type of object...

Dderjken: I'm searching IEEE articles about phased arrays, for what concerns your structure, tell me all your requirements (as Polarization, Bandwidth, Pattern Shape and so on.....) and I'll surely help you.
So, at the moment, if you want a code, you can download PCAAD 2.1 (by Pozar) or LINPLAN...easy to find in Internet.. I've compared my code with PCAAD and the results are the same.. however I've some problem about Directivity computation. I want the rigorous computation....
In my spare time I'm trying to solve it..

Regards
Lupin

Lupin,

Are you using analytical methods? Like Pozar did in PCAAD? These are just approximate results and not good at all. Even for 8X8 array you may even get 1/4 th of gain that PCAAD simulates. I have seen PCAAD 2.1 and it just neglects network complexity. Finding array factor, adding mutual coupling and multiply with element pattern is possibly implemented in PCAAD 2.1 and they are simply inaccurate for a large array. Thay are just theoritical and only very good for starting the design.

PS: designing large planar antenna array with CST or HFSS is just wasting clock pulse and RAM and killing the computer disk and processessor with huge no of cells of matrix. Ensemble is far better choice since it is 2.5D :) and not 3D because it neglects manything to give you the output [8x8, 16x8, 16x16 arrays can be simulated using fast solver and smaller no of edge cells].

PPS: Wish your program will be a good tool for at least start with and will be freely available to all of us here.

:!: :idea: :?:

Lupin said:
Tapa: Ensemble code is accurated but it's a 2.5 D software.. If you have complex transictions, you have to use or CST, or HFSS.. direct competitor... Someone says that CST us good for "closed structures" and HFSS for "radiating structures".. In my opinion, they are both for every type of object...

Dderjken: I'm searching IEEE articles about phased arrays, for what concerns your structure, tell me all your requirements (as Polarization, Bandwidth, Pattern Shape and so on.....) and I'll surely help you.
So, at the moment, if you want a code, you can download PCAAD 2.1 (by Pozar) or LINPLAN...easy to find in Internet.. I've compared my code with PCAAD and the results are the same.. however I've some problem about Directivity computation. I want the rigorous computation....
In my spare time I'm trying to solve it..

Regards
Lupin

Re: coupling between patched antenna

div said:
Hi:

These days, I am also interested in coupling
between patches.

Can some one give suggestion about
Cavity model?

Div

Hi, div!

Have you seen book Garg&Bhartia&Bahl:Microstrip antenna design handbook provided by Baskiller?
Cavity model is very nicely discussed there.
Eirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back