What is the best book for learning PIC and where to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamed saleh

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
newbie to pic

i am new to pic
i want to know what is the best book for learning pic and where can iget this book from the internet
i want also a pic chip number since there are a lot of pic chips available in the market

Re: newbie to pic

Salam.

Which pogramming language do you intend to use?

Bye.

newbie to pic

i intend to use both assembly and c

The 2 most common PIC used by beginner are the PIC16F877A and PIC16F84A.

84A is no longer in production. one of the most commenly used nowadays is PIC16F628a to subs 84a. if not mistaken, F88 another version which fancied.
if u wanna use asm, u can start with MPLAB. and if u want to start with C, then u can try MikroC from mikroelektronika. u can even get a html guide for PIC there.
A good place to start. personally, i'm learning PicBasic Pro from microengineering. Good luck there.
If u do some searching here, i guess theres alot of info in eda that u can learn (for beginners) without havin to get a book. although book would help u even more. happy learning n happy searching.

Hello,

A good book on embedded design in general is "Embedded C" by Michael J pont. Another book is "PIC Microcontroller project book" and "Mike Predko guide to the PIC"
I think you can find all these books in the upload/dowload section on this forum.

For PIC Chip numbers, I started with the 16F84 but it is replaced by the 16F628 which has some nice enhancements.

For C Compilers I suggest High Tech C Compiler integrated with MPLAB, check their website for the demo ( Ithink it compiles for the 16F628 for free). Programming in C saves a lot of time and gets your project running much quicker, of course the compromise is you get a bigger code size and maybe slower than what you can get using assembler.

The important thing to do now is to buy or make yourself a PIC programmer a lot of designs are available on the web (JDM programmer is a simple and easy one). Have the PIC datasheet infront of you, Get some PIC chips and get it starting with some simple routines like flashing a led, then step it up by reading some inputs (switches) and displaying the outputs on LED. The rest you will figure out yourself as you go.

Gam

hxxp://www.phanderson.com/icd/tutorial.html
PIC16F87X_tutorial_sample of phanderson
using CCS

I think 16F88 is better choice than 16F628A or you can try 16F877A for more I/O. If you're using C you look at examples from www.microchipc.com

photonix

Pls try this link :
**broken link removed**

Very good basic PIC tutorial to get grip on PIC assembly programming.

Where could I find that section with downloads? Thanks

Read Muhammad Ali Mazidi - PIC microcontrollers; one of best. C and assembly both covered for 16F series.

Thanks

Yes,Mazidi's book is the best one and it covers C and Assembly both for 18F series not 16F series.

Ya, It's correct. It's for 18F series. Thank you.

Hi
I think this book is useful

Attachments

• pic-in-practice-second-edition-a-project-based-approach.9780750668262.27762.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…