Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the basic criteria for 8 to 16 to 32 Bit Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandi_ranjan

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have a simple question

What is the basic criteria for 8 to 16 to 32 Bit Processor Selection. I mean which parameter determines the selection of 8 / 16 / 32 Bit Processor selection in Industrial / Process Control Application/ design

Thanks
Ranjan

For starters:
Memory requirements
Performance
Peripherals
Price
Tools
Temp range
your ability to handle the package
availability.....

in no particular order and for sure not complete nevertheless I hope it is helpful,

Bob

Re: What is the basic criteria for 8 to 16 to 32 Bit Process

Hi

Why do you get less for more price , when you could get more for less price?

Now 32 bit processors have prices comparable to 8 bit micros.
so you can select 32 bit processor and get performance , MIPS , Prephirals , ROM and Ram almost for free.
There's free GNU tools.

On the other side
1-you need to study computer Architecture
2-You will deal with SMT chips insteade of throgh hole chips

you can check ARM7 as an example

Salam
Hossam Alzomor

Added after 1 minutes:

www.i-g.org

Bob Thanks

Added after 42 minutes:

Hi Salam

Price is not right criteria, often design are done with less expensive controller with performance and vice versa,ARm is a good processor there is no doubt about it, but the peripherals are expensive compared to 8 bit environment. It purely depends on the application perhaps to select the right processor. Bob's clues are more effective in this selection process.

Anyway thanks too

If you use floating variables, you need a faster processor..

I think if peripheral and/or data type mostly are 16 bit or
32 bit, use of 8bit processor is not efficient (or usable).
specialy, when we need high processing speed.

Regards,
Davood.

hi
i thinkin the meaing for 8 bit or 16 or 32 its the capacity of the accumulator we take example of we have accumulator has 8 bit data and data we want execution 16 bit data first it exection 8 bit data only the anther 8 bit data

The criteria is the width of the data bus. But his question was about "selection criteria"

Bob

Re: What is the basic criteria for 8 to 16 to 32 Bit Process

You try to make the processor match your requirements. Yes, the 16 and 32 bit micros have come down in price, but they are more complex to program, and often you will have to deal with two power sources (3.3 and 5 volt.) If your project is simple, then use a simple 8bit micro, but if you are doing floating point calculations, or need a ton of RAM to run a graphic user interface, then you should look at the wider bus. Hope this is of some help.
Regards,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back