Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the avg current flowing from B to A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi can anyone tell me what is the avg current flowing from B to A in the attached figure.
I just gave some random values for voltages and capacitance.
Please tell how to theoretically find it.
IMG_20220121_231025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

It can only be solved with
* non overlapping square waves
* non ideal switches

Then it's easy, since C = As/V

Klaus

The gating waveforms imply that one Nmos is on when the other Nmos is off.
Yes, the capacitor is alternatingly charged and discharged. The solution is found by applying elementary capacitor equations.

I = Q * f = C * V * f

No matter if the switches are ideal or not, if you don't worry about infinite current.

Hi,

The problem with ideal switches - better say ideal devices - that you can't calculate with energy and power...
Because of the capacitor-capacitor problem.

If there is average current flow from B to A with a given supply voltage, then power needs to be dissipated somewhere.
If the capacitor is without ohmic loss, and the switches are without ohmic loss .... where does the power go?

Klaus

The exercise isn't quantifiable the way it's drawn... Rather the intention (I suppose) is to answer by explaining circuit behavior.

The transistors conduct at mutually exclusive times. Result:

1) Some current flows from the upper supply to charge the capacitor.

2) Some current discharges from the capacitor toward the bottom supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back