Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the advantage of electrical isolation in transfors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivakumar_tumma

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
electrical isolation advantages

What is the advantage of electrical isolation in transfors ? Any way the fault in one side is reflected in the otherside..

can any one explain me?

sorry it is transformers.. not transfors.

advantages of electrical isolation

U mean Transfors or Transformer?

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
secondary bolted fault

the main advantage of electrical isolation is that the two circuits which are coupled using transformer can be at different earth levels..... also if there is a short in one side then only that part undergoes the effect of high current...

Reactions: ajit4u

ajit4u

isolator advantage electrical

I dont think this is correct. suppose When short ckt(SC) happens in the secondary side, then SC current in the secondary have to come from primary only as there is no other power source is available.

A.Anand Srinivasan said:
the main advantage of electrical isolation is that the two circuits which are coupled using transformer can be at different earth levels..... also if there is a short in one side then only that part undergoes the effect of high current...

advantage of electrical isolation

dude when the secondary is shorted it means that the voltage across the secondary coil is zero and it is a inductor no more... so nothing can get transferred from the primary....

what is electrical isolation in the circuits

sivakumar_tumma,
One advantage is safety. If a person contacts an isolated secondary, no current will flow throught the person, even if the person is grounded (connected to Earth ground).
Another reason is common mode isolation. common mode voltage on the primary does not appear on the secondary.
Regards,
Kral

transformer bolted fault

A.Anand Srinivasan said:
dude when the secondary is shorted it means that the voltage across the secondary coil is zero and it is a inductor no more... so nothing can get transferred from the primary....
I am somehow confused by this statement. I would like to ask, do you mean to say that during short circuits, transformers will not let the fault currents coming from utility and other sources? Say we have a 3-phase bolted fault in the load side of the transformer, where will the fault current go? It won't pass through the secondary coils?

Re: What is the advantage of electrical isolation in transfo

to be frank i dont know what a 3 way bolted fault is.... maybe if you can post that circuit leading to 3 way bolted fault or something relavant to it maybe i would be able to come up with an explanation!!!:D

A.Anand Srinivasan said:
to be frank i dont know what a 3 way bolted fault is.... maybe if you can post that circuit leading to 3 way bolted fault or something relavant to it maybe i would be able to come up with an explanation!!!:D
Its a 3-phase fault, meaning all the lines are shorted.

i was talking about the condition where the circuitry connected to a particular line gets shorted... not the short circuiting of the lines themselves....

Reactions: ajit4u

ajit4u

Re: electrical isolation advantages

Hi the purpose of isolation is that any disturbances in the primary side should not affect the devices connected on the secondary side. like for EMC EMI problems likes Surge or EFT..... If isolation is there any disturbances in primary is not reflected to secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.