Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the advantage of applying 1 DCT for rows & columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amith

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

what is the advantage of applying 1 dct for rows & colums seperatly , why cant we take a 2-dct directly , if we have nxn matrix what will be the complexity
of applying 2d-dct directly when campared to seperate rows & columns .

Re: DCT

hi,
The explanation is very simple,

2D:
(u,v) = Σ Σ f(m,n) cos((2m+1)uΠ/2N) cos((2n+1)vΠ/2N), consider it is 8x8 block, then , for computing one output value the expression has to do 8x8 = 64 manupulations and to complete one whole block i.e. 8x8 it has to do 64 * 64 manupulations that is 4096.

1D:
in case of 1D one output value requies 8x8(row wise) + 8x8(column wise) manupulations i.e. 128, hence the total manupulation is 128 * 8 i.e. 1024.

this is the computational complexity you asked

DCT

Hi,

The 1D processing is slow than block processing for huge data , O.K. It's easy and be main design for sound processing.

The block processing is good for image processing , and other jobs .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back