Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is 'super capacitor'? Can we replace batteries with super capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear friends,
May i know how to charge the super capacitor?
For battery we have constant voltage charging, constant current charging methods... what about super capacitors?

i have some experience with super capacitors. if i connect 9v/1A supply to the 39F/10V super capacitor, it absorbs all the power & the voltage goes below 3V... so i never tested again & it doesn't charge to the full voltage after 30min...

regards
Udhay

Thank you tpeter & tahmid,..and I am ready to agree with you,but in the case of a 'motor bike" we don't need a battery back up for 1 or 2 days...and most of the systems in a bike like horn,light etc is needed in its running condition only(unlike car or bus) ,so i think we can use supercap in bikes....and in most of the bikes 'kick start' mechanism is available so for its starting the stored energy is not necessary....

Yes, all should be according to needs and particular case.

In some case can be cat's whisker, and in other case can be full miss.

Dear friends,
May i know how to charge the super capacitor?
For battery we have constant voltage charging, constant current charging methods... what about super capacitors?

i have some experience with super capacitors. if i connect 9v/1A supply to the 39F/10V super capacitor, it absorbs all the power & the voltage goes below 3V... so i never tested again & it doesn't charge to the full voltage after 30min...

regards
Udhay

You need to limit charging current. Otherwise, initial charging current is so high that the voltage of the power supply "is pulled down".

The supercapacitor is not a battery. As long as overvoltage is not applied, it doesn't matter how you charge it. If you want to charge it to 12V, connect a resistor between supercapacitor and a 12V charging source. The supercapacitor will charge up to 12V at a rate dependent on the value of the resistor used.

Status
Not open for further replies.