Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is "pickup"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepy_shiba

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I work in a IC design house with a lot of old Asian engineers, they always say "sub pickup", "body pickup". When I asked them what is "pickup" they just pointed at the subtract.
Is there anyone can tell me what exactly is "pickup", "sub pickup"and "body pickup"?
I couldn't find any definition on the internet.
PS: when they say "pickup" I can only think of the truck, and also the internet as well haha

BR,
Kalinda.

i now nothing about IC design
however, from what you wrote, i assume pickup means the stuff removed by an etch(?) step (the subtract)

hence sub pickup might be substrate stuff removed
and body pickup might be stuff removed from a feature or some part of a feature

Here is how I understand "pickup", in this context.

Suppose that two nodes (nets) in IC design are supposed to be completely decoupled - i.e. thay are supposed not to "see", not to "feel" each other.
I.e. when voltage or current on/in one of the net changes - this does not affect the other net.

But in reality, in physical implementation of IC, parasitic elements - parasitic resistors in the metallization, parasitic capacitances between nets, parasitics resistive and capacitive (mostly p-n junctions) elements in the substrate, parasitic inductances and inductive loops - lead to interaction between the nets.

So, when a noisy net changes its voltage or current, it affects other nets, coupled (by parasticis) to it - and their electrical conditions (voltage, current, etc.) change, in response.

This unintended coupling and electrical change, caused by other nets, is called "pickup".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back