Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is negative frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalanand

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi can any one please explain to me the concept of negative frequency ?.

There is no negative frequency in reality... I guess that you mean on negative frequencu that you get from Furier transformations... Well these frequencies are from nature of Furier, because it is symetrical around y axis...

yes i am referring to frequency got from fourier trasforms...

Negative frequency

Think about phasors. In trigonometric Fourier series (an and bn) you don't need negative frequencies because the result is given by a sum of sines and cosines.

In exponential Fourier series(cn) the need for negative frequencies yields from the fact that for describing a real function with complex exponentials, it necessary two phasors, one turning clockwise and the other anti clockwise, thus the result is the proyection the phasors on the axis.

Tip: the phasors have same angular rate, same magnitude and opposite phase, that's the trick

as u r talkin abt the negetive freq in Fourier transform...as it is said it is a mathematical outcome....why it comes is , when u look at the fourier transform of the signal...it will be represented in the exponentials. just imagine...wat if u change the sign of the exponentials, ie., amkin the freq negative? all u r goin to get is the repleca of the positive value of the same freq....just do this u will understand it better...
hope it helps u....

Status
Not open for further replies.