Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is leakage current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhiling0229

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what is leakage current? How is it cause? If for example a device that was tested on a tester board have a very high leakage current how to overcome this problem?

the leakeage current is a current that is constant with time, i mean wich one exist over the surface of a winding or between exposed conductors... now the manitude of this current depends on temperature and the amount of conductive material... ie moisture, etc...
:|

intrensic semiconducter having equel number of holes and electrons. after doping we r adding electrons or holes to this. but v are not removing existing other carrers .this minority carrers will creat a reverse current .this is called so

semiconducter having equel number of holes and electrons. the minority carrers will creat a reverse current .this is called so

leakage current, in my expierence, is related to insulation in rotating electrical machines, isolators and everything whre the pollution can be a path for current...
but in electronics i haven´t seen it... :cry:

Due to an undesired imperfection in dielectric or semiconductor,
current flows in a direction other than what is desired and this introduces power loss and this current is called leakage current...........

madeza said:
leakage current, in my expierence, is related to insulation in rotating electrical machines, isolators and everything whre the pollution can be a path for current...
but in electronics i haven´t seen it... :cry:

ur right in electronics it is called as surface lekage current .
it happens due to inpurities on the surface of semi conductors

Leakage current is nothing but current which is not for actual application.

leakage current is a phenomenon found in semi conductor devices like BJTs which is due to the ambient polarization in the electric field within the device. te magnitude will depend on properties of the materials and doping concentrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.