what is diff between device simulator silvaco and hfss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THUNDERRr

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
atlas potential viewing silvaco

what is diff between device simulator silvaco and hfss?both are 3-d Simulator

silvaco vs. synopsys device

THUNDERRr said:
what is diff between device simulator silvaco and hfss?both are 3-d Simulator

The fact that simulator is "3D" just tells that it solves equations in 3D space (e.g. x-y-z), but the equations can be quite different - both from mathematical viewpoint (e.g. elliptic, hyperbolic, parabolic), as well as from physics or applications viewpoint (i.g. thermal, mechanical, electrical, etc.).

HFSS is an AC (fixed frequency) electromagnetic solver - i.e. it solves Maxwell equations for electromagnetic field, and the models of the material are quite simplistic.

Silvaco's (or other vendors') device simulator (Silvaco - Atlas, Synopsys - Medici/Dessis/TDevice/...) solves semiconductor equations (Poisson eq. for electrostatic potential, carrier transport equations, optionally - energy transport and heat transport equations) that describe complicated non-linear effects in semiconductors. Device simulators do not normally solve full electromagnetic equations, and do not take into account dynamic electromagnetic effects, magnetic field, etc. - as these effects are usually not important in semiconductor devices.

So, the application areas of HFSS (or other electromagnetic full-wave solvers) and device simulators are quite different.

Is there anyway to connect them together...? Now I built a new device but I also want to know how electric field distribution near the device. Is that possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…