Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is cognitive radio and how is it related to DSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omidi_sbu

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is cognitive radio and how is it related to DSP?

cognitive radio?

Does any one have useful paper/books or any other material on "Cognitive Radios"

Regards
M

Re: cognitive radio?

cognitive radio refers to a transceiver that detects unused frequency bands in the spectrum for communication.

cognitive radio?

i had down the book Cognitive Radio Technology, but i can't find the link. you can find it by yourself

Cognitive Radio Technology (Communications Engineering) (Hardcover)
by Bruce A. Fette (Editor), Bruce Fette (Editor)

cognitive radio?

mittola has written a lot of books on cognitive radio but its not a yet a matured technology.
i believe not even a promising technology

To know better about Cognitive radio I advise you to read " Cognitive radio: Brain empowered wireless communications", an invited paper, published in IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS, VOL. 23, NO. 2, FEBRUARY 2005, by Simon Haykin.
And the doctoral dissertation of Joseph Mitola, entitled "Cognitive radio, An Integrated Agent Architecture for Software Defined Radio", it's available online.

Cognitive radio simply refers to "an intelligent wireless communication system that is aware of its surrounding environment, and uses the methodology of understanding-by-building to learn from the environment and adapt its internal states to statistical variations in the incoming RF stimuli by making
corresponding changes in certain operating parameters (e.g.,
transmit-power, carrier-frequency, and modulation strategy) in
real-time, with two primary objectives in mind:
• highly reliable communications whenever and wherever
needed;
• efficient utilization of the radio spectrum"

Quoted from Simon Hayken's paper.

It's based on SDR, software defined radio, which is the principle of making most of the radio functions "software based" rather than "hardware based", which implies using DSP's or FPGA's instead of using Application Specific IC's in Radio Transceivers. This provides flexibility in re-configuration of any transceiver. So this is how it's related to DSP.

Search in Digital Library of Communication Society....
www.comsoc.org
U will get hundreads of papers...written by Haykin and Mitola etc people..

Status
Not open for further replies.