Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Characteristics Impedance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Based on my understanding, characteristic impedance is the constant and instantaneous impedance a signal sees as it travels along a transmission line. If the impedance along the line is different, then the voltage will get reflected. Kindly correct me if I am wrong. But
[1] what is causing the voltage to be reflected?
[2] has characteristic impedance related to the resonant in the LC circuit?
[3] is it necessary that the transmission line be purely resistive or could it be a combination of RLC network that form a 50ohm impedance line?

Kindly advise and thank you for the help.

You'll find a good explanation of transmission line behaviour in the open book project Lessons in Electric Circuits, Part II AC, Chapter 14

A more exact description can be found in theoretical electrical engineering text books.

Generally, the real characteristic impedance of a transmission line doesn't involve resistive behaviour, because no losses are implied.
As the formula Z0 = √L/C clarifies, it's formed by reactances, and a lossless tranmission line can be modelled (with limited bandwidth)
by a L/C chain.

powersys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.