Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is better: ENIG or DIG PCB plating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnG300c

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
enig black pad

I'm in the process of choosing a surface finish for my latest PCB. The smallest pitch is 0.5 mm (FPGA in 208 PQFP). I have narrowed down my choices to two:

1) ENIG (Electroless Ni, immersion Gold): Apparently a tricky manufacturing process or else i'll end up with the black pad issue.

2) DIG (Direct Immersion Gold): Simpler manufacturing but may start to corrode after 4-6 months (not really an issue in my case since the boards will go to production pretty much right away).

I'm leaning towards DIG. Questions:

a) Does anyone have real-world experience with DIG?
b) Is this finish common in China (where i will manufacture the PCB)?
c) Is the ENIG finish really suffering from black pads these days?
d) In general, what is the price difference between ENIG and DIG?

I have also seen references to immersion silver and tin but corrusion problems (silver) and growing whiskers (shorts for tin) makes these less interesting. These are not high-volume boards (100+ per year perhaps) so the pricing difference perhaps really doesn't matter (unless it is large).

ENIG or DIG PCB plating?

FYI: I have decided to use DIG surface finish. Cheaper and the storage period of 4-6 months is fine. DIG is widely used by the Chinese manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back