Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is better Cadstar or PADS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btbass

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Cadstar or PADS

Has anyone used both of these programs in anger? If so, which do you prefer? I have used Cadstar for several years and also have PADS pcb but don't really use much.
Should I make an effort to get into pads?
I like the route editor in Cadstar, thats where most of the time is spent in PCB design. PADS routing seems a bit clunky!

Re: Cadstar or PADS

Th PADS user interface is clunky, but once you learn most of the shortcuts it is easy to use and very quick & natural.

The only way to learn it is to use it seriously. i have known some people who have moved jobs and had to make the change from Pads to Cadstar or Mentor Boardsattion and they all say that Pads would have been more productive, but it is cos they already know the tools.

Best way is to pick a simple test project and complete it on both sets of tools, start to finish, make SCH and PCB decal from scratch and so on. This way you will at least see all aspect of the tool.

Hi btbass,

I know both Pads and Cadstar, schematic and pcb. The
front-end schematic of Cadstar 6 is nice, but DxDesigner
(Viewlogic) are Better, for schematic and parts management.

In the pcb, now Cadstar have the Route Editor Embedded
but without all functionality of stand alone version, the active
45 routing option not work well in some condition.

PADS not have this problems, the routing work well
especially FIRE, very better ! Mentor have really best
routing tools !

Cadstar not have a Design Reuse, PADS yes, productivity
is higher with PADS, i know moore designers that confirm this !

I agree with j2356r, do you have time to test both system ?
Test both systems, BUT with DENSE really SMT project.
Not test on a simple circuit (trough hole with few components).
The difference are not a simple opinion !

Hope this help, Skywalker.

try mentor expidition .it is a powerful tool
cheers

You are right the route editor of cadstar is fine but in pads you have blaze router option which is much more easier and designing is very easier for examle you can have different colors for all nets and it will help you in placemnet in power pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back