Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is bandgap reference generator and why do we need it in the circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI_Learner

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you please explain it -
What is bandgap reference generator and why do we need it in the circuit?

What is bandgap reference generator

As google can tell you, it is a fixed voltage reference that does not vary significantly with temperature. Usually about 1.25V.

**broken link removed**

why do we need it in the circuit?

Which circuit? Anywhere that an accurate and stable voltage (or current) reference is required.

In short it is simply a stable voltage source that is temperature independent.
Right?

- - - Updated - - -

In short it is simply a stable voltage source that is temperature independent.
Right?

Yes, that's what I said. The link explains how it works if you are interested to know that.

What is its difference with normal voltage source?
Is it only bandgap reference generator's stability and temperature independence?
And I guess bandgap reference generator is needed for critical devices, switches, and the devices which need matching. Right?

BGR are mostly built into the IC.The BGR functions in such a way that it accounts for the change in temperature of the chip and the voltage from the BGR remains constant inspite the change in temperature .Here when u tell voltage source ,do you mean external voltage source ???

Actually I was reading Razavi's book and there I am finding some problem understanding this. Please make me understand using some examples.

Book1.JPGBook2.JPGBook3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back