Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is antenna gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liberal

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is antenna gain? the power through an antenna is bigger?
if the transmiter power is 0dbm and the antenna gain is 2dbi ,if no other loss ,the receiver power is 2dbm?

The antenna gain is the power out the transmission line from the antenna compared to the power with another antenna. The two basic comparison antennas are a dipole and a fictitious "isotropic" antenna which exists only in the world of mathematics and physics theories.

The antenna gain is the power out the transmission line from the antenna compared to the power with another antenna. The two basic comparison antennas are a dipole and a fictitious "isotropic" antenna which exists only in the world of mathematics and physics theories
As a supplement, from what I know, the unit for Gain when we have a comparison between proposed antenna and dipole antenna is "dBd" or "dBi" in the case of isotropic antenna.
So,
if the transmiter power is 0dbm and the antenna gain is 2dbi ,if no other loss ,the receiver power is 2dbm?
It's not correct from my opinion.

regards!

nhomuathu_hanoi said:
The antenna gain is the power out the transmission line from the antenna compared to the power with another antenna. The two basic comparison antennas are a dipole and a fictitious "isotropic" antenna which exists only in the world of mathematics and physics theories
As a supplement, from what I know, the unit for Gain when we have a comparison between proposed antenna and dipole antenna is "dBd" or "dBi" in the case of isotropic antenna.
So,
It's not correct from my opinion.

regards!
what is the difference BETwEEn Gain anD EFFECTIVE isotroPIC Radiated poWER

Hi,
The one more thing is that Antenna dosen't have a active gain.It is a passive gain..and generally we talk in terms of Directivity than Gain.

Usually, the gain of the antenna is not a constant, which depends on the spatial coordinates. The received power should be calculated by Friis transmission equation. It can not be simply calculated just like a power amplifier.

I want to konw how can we see the gain in HFSS,can we know from the 3D polar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back