Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is an oscillator with quadrature outputs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STOIKOV

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Oscillator questions

- What is a oscillator with quadrature outputs ?
- If have an 900MHz oscillator output with levels from 0 to 5V and need levels from 0 to 3.3V to feed other stage, is it feasible to implement a voltage divisor (for example with CMOS in diode configuration).

Re: Oscillator questions

Quarature outputs mean that the oscillator has two outputs with 90-degree phase difference. These outputs are called I and Q outputs. I = inphase and Q = Quarature. I hope this helps.

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

called quadrature if 90 degrees only ? what about 180 degrees I mean differential output, is not called quadrature ? Thanks.

In digital circuits translating levels by resistor dividers is not a good idea ..
Try OC(open collector) or OD(open drain) configuration as at: ..

Regards,
IanP

PS. 180° means opposite phase ..
There are four special points in the moon's orbit as it goes around the earth called syzygies and quadratures .. It is in quadrature when the moon, earth and sun form a 90° angle with each other, having the earth at the vertex.

STOIKOV

STOIKOV said:
called quadrature if 90 degrees only ? what about 180 degrees I mean differential output, is not called quadrature ? Thanks.

i think this name is bacuase that 90 degree is 1/4 of 360 degree, thus quardrature

STOIKOV

IT MEANS PROVIDING TWO OUTPUTS WHICH ARE 90 DEGREES OUT OF PHASE
U FIND THIS ANSWER IN LINER IC TEXTBOOK GAYKWARD

Status
Not open for further replies.