Not open for further replies.

purnapragna

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is a wavelet

hi folks i am very new to this topic but very much interested in it as i m very fond of Fourier transform. So i feel there is some relation between the two and this relation is strong!

so can anybody help me in understanding the Wavelet transform assuming that i m a novice. do not suggest any book to read pls.!!!!!

thnx

purna!

Re: what is a wavelet?

this was the a discussion on 25 dec .. jus chk it out..

ROBI POLIKAR instances on this would help.. type his name and wavelet a basic tutorial pops up.

It is a special case of filter banks, that has many applications in compression, de-noising, etc..

HI purna,
i am pankaj.i a have also keen interest in WAVELET.simply i am telling to u it is nothing but a very short duration wave that has an average value of zero.
wavelet is a very useful tool in the emerging field of speech and image compression(my final year project is also based in this using MATLAB) and i got iiird rank in my university.
if u want to know more abt this try to this link!!!!!!!!

https://www.amara.com/IEEEwave/IEEEwavelet.html

i think u will get too much from this link.

what is a wavelet?

Wavelets in the Future

**broken link removed**

wavelets are mathematical functions that cut up data into different frequency components and then study each component with a resolution matched to its scale. they have advantageous over the traditional fourier methods in analyzing physical situations where the signal contains discontinuties and sharp spikes

Using wavelet transform also avoids the diadvantages of designing systems using fourier transform (which requires the design to compromise between a good time resolution and a good frequency resolution).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…