Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a sparecell and its functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chapar

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

Can anybody tell me what is a sparecell and the functionality of that?
Where those cells are used?

Re: sparecells

In general convention from my knowledge,

Spare cell means for future design modification use.
When circuit designers are designing the circuit, they will expect some margin and try to put spare cells. Layout engineers also will put those spare cells in the layout and make them as dummies or floating.

Once whenever some modification is required, They will use that spare cell and try to pass the design. This mainly for the layout engineer feeasibility. When modification is required he need not to work more. just need to give connections. Correct if I am wrong.
Thank You.

Re: sparecells

Spare cells are additional cells that can be used if ECO cells are not available. These cells have floating outputs. And if netlist is wrong and requires modification, EDA tool will replace these cells with required cells according to the matching footprint....

sparecells

As posted before, spare cells are, as the name indicates, spare components placed in the design for possible future use.
This allow you to change some circuit funtion by connecting them on a future silicon run.
Main layout consideration about them is to make sure you'll be able to use them by changing THE LESS QTY OF MASKS (for instance, doing ONLY a METAL UP change)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back