Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a SMPS inverter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I studied about Square wave inverter, PWM inverter, Sinusoidal PWM inverter, Modified Sinusoidal PWM inverter. From them Modified Sinusoidal PWM inverter is the best.

I know SMPS. It is a dc-dc converter power supply.

But What is SMPS inverter?

Re: about SMPS inverter

Hi, the smps inverter is a DCtoAC inverter but DC-DC converter is used to convert 12dc to about 340vdc and this voltage is converted to 240AC 50HZ.therefore the inverter uses ferite core transformer.

about SMPS inverter

12v dc to 340v dc means boost converter. May I get help to make this?

Hi shoeb.eee, i dont think is a
problem, all you need to do is to
build an oscilator using SG3525
OR 3524 with very high freq to
swich your ferrite core
transformer with your
mosfet,then rectified the out put
with highfrequency rectifiers with
your filtered output,using pwm
technics;note number of turns
ratio determine's your output
voltage.

shoeb.eee said:
12v dc to 340v dc means boost converter. May I get help to make this?
yes but more of the design using push pull converter for more efficiency than boost converter

Yes most of the inverter using smps they are usualy push pull arrangement.

about SMPS inverter

Hi shoeb.eee,
You can check on TI website. there are some articals on SMPS.

about SMPS inverter

Thanks everybody!

I understood.

Designing the transformer will be a great challenge.

If I need 340W output Transformer's current ratting will be Ip=28.33A and Is=1A (Vp=12, Vs=340)

So, I need help regarding high frequency (100kHz-400kHz) Transformer

about SMPS inverter

Waiting for your response ...

about SMPS inverter

anybody please response

I have used 3525 for the DC-DC stage using push-pull. but what i got was not good. if u want to fix the voltage at 360 V dc(using feedback) whatever chnge in the load, then this PP topology creates lots of heat and often burning of FET though using snubber. So i think Boost topology should be used...........

Added after 4 minutes:

have u tried anything yet ?

boost converter and push-pull are bad idea, look for some forward converter. For 340W it's your best guest !! flyback converter are quite are to design due to the transformer spec but cold be good too. The forward converter is something between push-pull (easy to design) and flyback (low cost and good efficiency) boost converter is a bad idea because the duty-cycle is quite large 12V to 340V. I recommand to not go over 100
khz, you will have a bad time choosing a mosfet (28A @ 100kHz). DigiKey, mouser, Newark, etc sells good ETD core working at 65KHz.

the link:
https://schematic-diagram.blogspot.com/search/label/DC-DC INVERTER

shows a push-pull converter made out of a 3525. The push-pull topology is used in car power amplifier, the output voltage is low-to-med (not 340V)
the design on the link is poor and lack of protection(and compensation)

about SMPS inverter

Hi,
I think you should check this out:
Code:
http://sound.westhost.com/project89.htm

In my SMPS inverter, I used turns: primary 4-4 turns, secondary 110 turns.

After that use an SG3525 or SG3526 oscillating at 50Hz with a deadtime and feed this to a MOSFET bridge through a hi-lo side driver IR2110 or L6385/6/7/8. Filter the output with two inductors and a capacitor.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

sec said:
boost converter and push-pull are bad idea, look for some forward converter. For 340W it's your best guest !! flyback converter are quite are to design due to the transformer spec but cold be good too. The forward converter is something between push-pull (easy to design) and flyback (low cost and good efficiency) boost converter is a bad idea because the duty-cycle is quite large 12V to 340V. I recommand to not go over 100
khz, you will have a bad time choosing a mosfet (28A @ 100kHz). DigiKey, mouser, Newark, etc sells good ETD core working at 65KHz.

the link:
https://schematic-diagram.blogspot.com/search/label/DC-DC INVERTER

shows a push-pull converter made out of a 3525. The push-pull topology is used in car power amplifier, the output voltage is low-to-med (not 340V)
the design on the link is poor and lack of protection(and compensation)

what if u design the boost converter in two stage ???

Added after 7 minutes:

Tahmid said:
Hi,
I think you should check this out:
Code:
http://sound.westhost.com/project89.htm

In my SMPS inverter, I used turns: primary 4-4 turns, secondary 110 turns.

After that use an SG3525 or SG3526 oscillating at 50Hz with a deadtime and feed this to a MOSFET bridge through a hi-lo side driver IR2110 or L6385/6/7/8. Filter the output with two inductors and a capacitor.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

have u used push-pull topology ? how do u regulate the 360 V dc ? r u frm uttara ? if so have a desire to meet u :)

about SMPS inverter

Hi Maxpayne,
I used push-pull topology with SG3525 and regulated the output with feedback (resistive divider). Then I used PIC12F675 to provide 50Hz pulse with 80% duty cycle to provide modified square wave output.
Later I changed the design and substituted with an ATmega88 which does everything.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Yea, I'm from Uttara.

Tahmid said:
Hi Maxpayne,
I used push-pull topology with SG3525 and regulated the output with feedback (resistive divider). Then I used PIC12F675 to provide 50Hz pulse with 80% duty cycle to provide modified square wave output.
Later I changed the design and substituted with an ATmega88 which does everything.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Yea, I'm from Uttara.

I have done the same thing previously using p-p . but when duty cycle was close to 70%, the mosfet got damaged....mmany a times....and the fet was heating tremendously....... but when i removed the fb (resistor divider) everything worked as desired. no extra heat. although output dc wasn't regulated....wht could be the reasn tahmid ?

in uttara which sector u r in ?

about SMPS inverter

Hi,

This obviously seems to be a problem with the feedback loop. Maybe a miscalculation of resistor / capacitor value. Hard to tell without actually looking at the circuit.
I live in Sector 10.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.