Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a SMPS inverter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
36
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,553
I studied about Square wave inverter, PWM inverter, Sinusoidal PWM inverter, Modified Sinusoidal PWM inverter. From them Modified Sinusoidal PWM inverter is the best.

I know SMPS. It is a dc-dc converter power supply.

But What is SMPS inverter?
 

kabiru

Banned
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
503
Helped
160
Reputation
320
Reaction score
146
Trophy points
1,323
Location
Nigeria
Activity points
0
Re: about SMPS inverter

Hi, the smps inverter is a DCtoAC inverter but DC-DC converter is used to convert 12dc to about 340vdc and this voltage is converted to 240AC 50HZ.therefore the inverter uses ferite core transformer.
 

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
36
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,553
about SMPS inverter

12v dc to 340v dc means boost converter. May I get help to make this?
 

kabiru

Banned
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
503
Helped
160
Reputation
320
Reaction score
146
Trophy points
1,323
Location
Nigeria
Activity points
0
Re: about SMPS inverter

Hi shoeb.eee, i dont think is a
problem, all you need to do is to
build an oscilator using SG3525
OR 3524 with very high freq to
swich your ferrite core
transformer with your
mosfet,then rectified the out put
with highfrequency rectifiers with
your filtered output,using pwm
technics;note number of turns
ratio determine's your output
voltage.
 

rajudp

Advanced Member level 2
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
644
Helped
123
Reputation
246
Reaction score
96
Trophy points
1,308
Location
India
Activity points
4,055
Re: about SMPS inverter

shoeb.eee said:
12v dc to 340v dc means boost converter. May I get help to make this?
yes but more of the design using push pull converter for more efficiency than boost converter
 

kabiru

Banned
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
503
Helped
160
Reputation
320
Reaction score
146
Trophy points
1,323
Location
Nigeria
Activity points
0
Re: about SMPS inverter

Yes most of the inverter using smps they are usualy push pull arrangement.
 

Spidyelectronics

Member level 2
Joined
Mar 20, 2010
Messages
47
Helped
8
Reputation
16
Reaction score
5
Trophy points
1,288
Location
INDIA
Activity points
1,591
about SMPS inverter

Hi shoeb.eee,
You can check on TI website. there are some articals on SMPS.
 

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
36
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,553
about SMPS inverter

Thanks everybody!

I understood.

Designing the transformer will be a great challenge.

If I need 340W output Transformer's current ratting will be Ip=28.33A and Is=1A (Vp=12, Vs=340)

So, I need help regarding high frequency (100kHz-400kHz) Transformer
 

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
36
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,553
about SMPS inverter

Waiting for your response ...
 

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
36
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,553
about SMPS inverter

anybody please response
 

MAXPAYNE

Member level 5
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
94
Helped
3
Reputation
6
Reaction score
2
Trophy points
1,288
Location
BD
Activity points
1,878
Re: about SMPS inverter

I have used 3525 for the DC-DC stage using push-pull. but what i got was not good. if u want to fix the voltage at 360 V dc(using feedback) whatever chnge in the load, then this PP topology creates lots of heat and often burning of FET though using snubber. So i think Boost topology should be used...........

Added after 4 minutes:

have u tried anything yet ?
 

sec

Advanced Member level 4
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Messages
109
Helped
3
Reputation
6
Reaction score
3
Trophy points
1,298
Location
Canada,QC
Activity points
2,024
Re: about SMPS inverter

boost converter and push-pull are bad idea, look for some forward converter. For 340W it's your best guest !! flyback converter are quite are to design due to the transformer spec but cold be good too. The forward converter is something between push-pull (easy to design) and flyback (low cost and good efficiency) boost converter is a bad idea because the duty-cycle is quite large 12V to 340V. I recommand to not go over 100
khz, you will have a bad time choosing a mosfet (28A @ 100kHz). DigiKey, mouser, Newark, etc sells good ETD core working at 65KHz.

the link:
https://schematic-diagram.blogspot.com/search/label/DC-DC INVERTER

shows a push-pull converter made out of a 3525. The push-pull topology is used in car power amplifier, the output voltage is low-to-med (not 340V)
the design on the link is poor and lack of protection(and compensation)
 

Tahmid

Advanced Member level 5
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
4,758
Helped
1,792
Reputation
3,576
Reaction score
1,651
Trophy points
1,393
Location
Silicon Valley, California, USA (from Dhaka, Bangl
Activity points
30,543
about SMPS inverter

Hi,
I think you should check this out:
Code:
http://sound.westhost.com/project89.htm

In my SMPS inverter, I used turns: primary 4-4 turns, secondary 110 turns.

After that use an SG3525 or SG3526 oscillating at 50Hz with a deadtime and feed this to a MOSFET bridge through a hi-lo side driver IR2110 or L6385/6/7/8. Filter the output with two inductors and a capacitor.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.
 

MAXPAYNE

Member level 5
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
94
Helped
3
Reputation
6
Reaction score
2
Trophy points
1,288
Location
BD
Activity points
1,878
Re: about SMPS inverter

sec said:
boost converter and push-pull are bad idea, look for some forward converter. For 340W it's your best guest !! flyback converter are quite are to design due to the transformer spec but cold be good too. The forward converter is something between push-pull (easy to design) and flyback (low cost and good efficiency) boost converter is a bad idea because the duty-cycle is quite large 12V to 340V. I recommand to not go over 100
khz, you will have a bad time choosing a mosfet (28A @ 100kHz). DigiKey, mouser, Newark, etc sells good ETD core working at 65KHz.

the link:
https://schematic-diagram.blogspot.com/search/label/DC-DC INVERTER

shows a push-pull converter made out of a 3525. The push-pull topology is used in car power amplifier, the output voltage is low-to-med (not 340V)
the design on the link is poor and lack of protection(and compensation)

what if u design the boost converter in two stage ???

Added after 7 minutes:

Tahmid said:
Hi,
I think you should check this out:
Code:
http://sound.westhost.com/project89.htm

In my SMPS inverter, I used turns: primary 4-4 turns, secondary 110 turns.

After that use an SG3525 or SG3526 oscillating at 50Hz with a deadtime and feed this to a MOSFET bridge through a hi-lo side driver IR2110 or L6385/6/7/8. Filter the output with two inductors and a capacitor.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.


have u used push-pull topology ? how do u regulate the 360 V dc ? r u frm uttara ? if so have a desire to meet u :)
 

Tahmid

Advanced Member level 5
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
4,758
Helped
1,792
Reputation
3,576
Reaction score
1,651
Trophy points
1,393
Location
Silicon Valley, California, USA (from Dhaka, Bangl
Activity points
30,543
about SMPS inverter

Hi Maxpayne,
I used push-pull topology with SG3525 and regulated the output with feedback (resistive divider). Then I used PIC12F675 to provide 50Hz pulse with 80% duty cycle to provide modified square wave output.
Later I changed the design and substituted with an ATmega88 which does everything.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Yea, I'm from Uttara.
 

MAXPAYNE

Member level 5
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
94
Helped
3
Reputation
6
Reaction score
2
Trophy points
1,288
Location
BD
Activity points
1,878
Re: about SMPS inverter

Tahmid said:
Hi Maxpayne,
I used push-pull topology with SG3525 and regulated the output with feedback (resistive divider). Then I used PIC12F675 to provide 50Hz pulse with 80% duty cycle to provide modified square wave output.
Later I changed the design and substituted with an ATmega88 which does everything.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Yea, I'm from Uttara.

I have done the same thing previously using p-p . but when duty cycle was close to 70%, the mosfet got damaged....mmany a times....and the fet was heating tremendously....... but when i removed the fb (resistor divider) everything worked as desired. no extra heat. although output dc wasn't regulated....wht could be the reasn tahmid ?

in uttara which sector u r in ?
 

Tahmid

Advanced Member level 5
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
4,758
Helped
1,792
Reputation
3,576
Reaction score
1,651
Trophy points
1,393
Location
Silicon Valley, California, USA (from Dhaka, Bangl
Activity points
30,543
about SMPS inverter

Hi,

This obviously seems to be a problem with the feedback loop. Maybe a miscalculation of resistor / capacitor value. Hard to tell without actually looking at the circuit.
I live in Sector 10.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top