Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a Smith chart and how to plot it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutty boy

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I want to know what's smith chart ,what's the benfits of using it and how can i plot one

Re: what's smith chart

Hi nutty boy;
Smith Chart is a graph that has been used in microwave engineering. Smith Chart is a graph of reflection coefficient in the polar plane. You can draw points of impedance or admittance vs. frequency in Smith chart.Also this chart can be used in designing microwave amplifiers. If you want to know more about Smith Chart please refer to these books:
- Microwave Engineering, Pozar
- Microwave Transistor Amplifiers, Gonzalez
- Field and Wave Electromagnetics, Cheng.
Also you can find software programs for drawing Smith Chart in the web.
No one

what's smith chart

u also can find software in software fourm
helped u to use smith chart try it

One of the best software for smith chart program is Smith ver 1.91

by

University of Applied Sciences Berne
Berne Institute of Engineering and Architecture

Prof. Fritz Dellsperger
Jürg Tschirren
Roger Wetzel
August 1995

hello
smith charts are used fro impedence matching and impedence transformation. If u want t know more go through "microwave engineering" peter.a. rizzi chap 3

what's smith chart

in communication electronic circuits you use smith chart. at very high frequencies(gigahz), a short circuit or an open circuit act as if they are capacitors or inductors.lengths of those short and open circuits must be calculated.using smithchart, you can realize this.as other friends say you find the values of elements and coefficients you need(impedence-admittance,susceptance-conductance,transmission-reflection coefficients,Standing Wave Ratio...)

smith chart is a graphical plot in which u can measure all transmission line parameters eg, impedance,inductance,capacitance,voltage,current etc,this chart is very useful in microwave engg. application.

please refer to a RF design book.

that's not very easy.

best regards

nutty boy said:
Hi
I want to know what's smith chart ,what's the benfits of using it and how can i plot one

A Smith chart is a type of nomogram used in electrical engineering that shows how the complex impedance of a transmission line varies along its length. It is often used to simplify the impedance matching of a transmission line with its load.

Image:Smith_chart_bmd.gif

this link explained in more simple way
h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_chart

in the bottom additional resource links

Smith Chart is a diagram that used for to find out the input impedance, VSWR, Return Loss, etc on Microwave circuit beside calculate it using complex formula.

Hi,
Go to this site you will get good material on Smith Chart

www.rfic.co.uk

Smith chart are used to find VSWR, impedance and similar tasks for transmission line analyses

Thanks
Shaikh Sarfraz

nutty boy said:
Hi
the smith chart can do many things,you can read some microwave books to learn it

there are two ways to determine parameter of transmission lines. one is analytical methods in which we use formule and other one is geometrical method in which we use smith chart to plot the graph to determine the parameter of transmission lines.....

in the practical field we use smith chart instead of using formule so its quite necessary for every electronics and communication student to learn how to plot it....

u can find many sources on internet about these charts......

Smith chart calculations can be done in MatLab too.

MRFGUY said:
One of the best software for smith chart program is Smith ver 1.91

by

University of Applied Sciences Berne
Berne Institute of Engineering and Architecture

Prof. Fritz Dellsperger
Jürg Tschirren
Roger Wetzel
August 1995

A smith chart is a fasthand way to get input impedances and other transmission line parameters.

How to use smith chart in two-branch matching? i'm not very clear about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back