Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a passive amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazemafify

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What does Passive Amplifier mean ?

Re: Passive Amplifier

Well there is no such thing as a passive amplifier (as far as I am aware) as you need a power source to amplify. However I think you may be thinking about Passive pre-amps in audio applications. These are actually passive volume control circuits that take the place of traditional pre-amp circuits mainly because the signal output of cd's etc don't need an additional pre-amp stage so a passive volume control reduces cost and can improve sound quality (though this depends on how well you design the circuit).

kevpat said:
Well there is no such thing as a passive amplifier (as far as I am aware) as you need a power source to amplify. However I think you may be thinking about Passive pre-amps in audio applications. These are actually passive volume control circuits that take the place of traditional pre-amp circuits mainly because the signal output of cd's etc don't need an additional pre-amp stage so a passive volume control reduces cost and can improve sound quality (though this depends on how well you design the circuit).

Can you discuss more about what is called Passive pre-amps?and what the most common circuit if it ?.

Thanx in advance.

I know 3 examples of "passive" amplification:

1) mechanical amplifier

Interesting implementation:
**broken link removed**

2) Acoustic amplifier - like a horn (Pressure amplification versus velosity reduction and vise versa)

3) Passive voltage amplifier - like a transformer, resonance circuit and so on

Of cource you won't get something for free... passive amplifying the voltage would attenuate the current...

Passive Amplifier

My question is what is the meaning of passive op-amps? is the meaning of passive is no capacitances or inductances ? and what about meaning of second order passive amplifier?.
Thanx

Passive pre-amp can be audio pre-amp consisting of connectors, switch and potentiometer. Audio power amplifier with enough gain (giving max power at nominal audio level) does not need any amplification in pre-amp, only attenuation (potentiometer).
Passive op-amp is nonsense.

Borber said:
Passive pre-amp can be audio pre-amp consisting of connectors, switch and potentiometer. Audio power amplifier with enough gain (giving max power at nominal audio level) does not need any amplification in pre-amp, only attenuation (potentiometer).
Passive op-amp is nonsense.

What is the pre-amp?, and what is the meaning of this "Passive op-amp is nonsense"?.
Thanx

Are you sure you aren't after PASSIVE FILTER, which can be of the 1-st, 2-nd, 3-rd (and so on) order ???
"PASSIVE AMPLIFIER" sounds weird ..

Regards,
IanP

In electronics a term passive amplifier simply does not exist. Amplification must be made of active elements like transistors or operational amplifiers (op-amps) and no passive element can do amplification of electrical signal except transformer. But this was said in previous posts.
Passive op-amp (operational amplifier) does not exists. It's an active semiconductor device.
Tell us what you want to do with this passive amplifier. What should be it's main function?

Yes transformer does not amplify power but can "amplify" voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back