Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a high speed board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

it_boy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to understand what factors that makes a board a high speed board.
can anybody help me...

no you don't give enough info for people to help you!

If you need advice on PCB layout, decide whether analog or digital (or both) decides your top speed. For digital, I'd say 30-50MHz is where you need to worry about best layout issues, I experiment with microcontrollers up to 12Mhz on breadboard with wire jumpers!

If your application is analog or RF, you must worry about nice layout. Analog can be interrupted at 5Mhz by crappy layout (leads that don't go anywhere, just stick out), and RF can be interruped by how sharply you turn a corner at 900MHz!

Thanks for the reply electronrancher.
I am not a board design guy, I have done one digital board design working at 80MHz max at the begining of my career, maybe that's the reason I dont know how this question should be asked.
Somebody told me that a high speed board does not depend on its operating frequency. It only depends on the rise time of the signals.
He also said a board working at KHz range can be called a high speed board if the rise times are less than a few nS.
I would like to understand if there are any other features that make people call a board a high speed board.

Thanks again

well sure, a risetime of ns will ring on a bad layout, but if the clock is khz it will settle down way before the next clock signal - no worries there.

80MHz is pretty fast - are you now talking about GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back