Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a good starting point for FPGA design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zhustudio said:
Xilinx is good for more flexible FPGA design. @ltera has high performance, but more expensive as well.
:)

Yup, Xilinx is the general purpose best choice.

For the best VHDL books look here:
Only the BEST and MOST IMPORTANT books on VHDL **broken link removed**

re:re fpga design

hello,my advice is that for design entry active hdl can be used beccause its relatively simple to use compared to modelsim..and for synthesis either leonardo spectrum or synplify pro can be used....regarding books..the books which are good for beginners are the ones by douglas perry and also the book by j.bhasker...hope ur problem is solved...

I think @ltera's Quartus is hardly used.And the ISE4.2 from xinlix is very easy to use.The help documents from xinilix is very good. So i recommand you to study from xinlix.

I think activeHDL is something you need.

I started with Altera with BaseLine software. Then I get the FLEX10K chips in PLCC package and made a development board with protel and ByteBlaster programmer....

Re: FPGA design

the all books recommended is about VHDL
how about Verilog? It's more popular in industry

Hi iloveelektroda,

see the topic at

**broken link removed**

Itp

altera is the general purpose best choice.

hi,
if u r getting into fpga design, FPGA advantage suite is really usefull. It helps u in understanding the design better as it includes even graphical view. It has templetes for ease in riting hdl code for the first time. it has simulator which is having very good debugging features. It has leonardo spectrum/precision as synthesis tool. These tools have the capability to get integrated to place and route tool also.
regarding chip, xilinx is better during the intial phase
hope this helps

I think Aldec acvtive hdl is proper for biginer

i use synplicity for synthesis andf Xilinz for backend

ddt694 said:
i use @ltera's FPGA and maxplusII 10.2.
maxplusII may be the easies tools to
develop @ltera's FPGA.

I sort of disagree with you.. If you want to use let say a cyclone part from @ltera.. I don't think your solution works.. 8O

So even it's a good tools (maxplusII).. It does not cover the complete family .. (Unless I am mistaken)..

:?:

harshad said:
i use synplicity for synthesis andf Xilinz for backend

This is a nice solution, though Leon@rdo spectrum gives generally better synthesis results.. Beside it let you select different kinds of optimisation on different modules (read optimise for space or optimise for speed)..

(But that's just my preference)
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back