Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a Discussion forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad Umar Aftab

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
i want to ask about the discussion forum.
i am developing a forum but im just a beginer. plz guide me...
About forum and technology use for it.

In the simplest sense, a discussion forum is any place where people can get together and talk about something. As it relates to the Internet, a discussion forum is usually either a bulletin board or chat room, where people talk about something.

Most discussion forums have a predetermined subject - you don't just walk into a discussion forum and ask or say anything you want; they are usually already discussing something. If you are interested in a specific topic, you usually search for discussion forums that focus on that topic, and join in the conversation that is already in progress. If you enter a discussion forum that is already talking about something, and try to change the subject, you will probably not get a helpful response - the same as if you entered a room in someone's house, and tried to dominate a conversation that had been going on before you arrived.

If you don't know what a discussion forum is, then it might be a good idea to observe one for a while, before trying to develop one.

This website provides discussion forums, mostly for people who want to talk about electronics, and the design of electronic or electrical circuits. If you are a programmer, trying to design a discussion forum, you might be better served by looking for a discussion forum that focuses on software programming - maybe even one that talks about programming in whatever programming language you use the most. I know from experience that many such forums exist, because I am a programmer, as well as an electronic technician. I also know that most people in programming forums, who are not from Pakistan or India, respond poorly to people from those places, because people from those places often join discussion forums and then do things which are considered discourteous or rude - like trying to dominate a conversation that was going on before they joined the discussion forum.

I would warn you:

1) When you do join a discussion forum, don't start by announcing where you are from. If you do, you inherit the reputation of everyone that came before you, from the same area. Cultural differences between the Europe, America, and the Far East, can make it difficult to get along well, especially if people are already expecting you to behave badly. Also, don't start by asking for other information about other people. You are a new person, and a stranger, and most people do not introduce themselves to strangers by answering a lot of personal questions. If you enter the existing conversation smoothly, you will eventually learn things about the people that you are talking to.

2) Try to speak English in English-speaking discussion forums - or whatever language is commonly in use, in forums speaking other languages. If you are not fluent in the language that is being spoken, people will notice, so it is best to stick to forums that are speaking languages that you are fluent in. If there are no such forums, then take the time to become fluent in the language that you are going to attempt to communicate in. It is generally considered rude or discourteous, to demand that others make an extra effort to communicate with you, because you did not bother to become fluent in the language that was being used in the discussion forum, before you arrived.

3) Try to keep your comments relevant to the discussion at hand. Programmers are not amused when someone comes into a forum that is discussing 'C', and asks a question about Visual Basic. Also, any questions should be interesting to other participants in the forum, if you expect anyone to answer. Hackers will not be interested in questions about hacking into someone's email; the subject has been discussed to death, elsewhere. They will be much more likely to be interested in a discussion about tactics for cracking AES cryptography algorithms, however - it's much more interesting and challenging. Don't take on a topic that you know nothing about, however - it will quickly become apparent, and even if the topic is an interesting one, you will be left out of the conversation, as having nothing useful to contribute.

Participating in a discussion forum is not all that different from participating in a study group, in school. While the discussion generally revolves around a specific subject area, it may range into other topics, and back again, over time - and there is a certain social order, as well as certain expectations of behavior, which may change, depending on the personalities of the people in the group. If you are new to the discussion forum, it is often best to observe, for a while, and try to learn what some of these expectations and personalities are, before getting too actively involved.

I hope that helps.

I wouldn't worry about being fluent in a language in forums. These forums in particular are very tolerant of non-English native discussions. Just read some posts and you will see what I mean.

Keith

Added after 3 hours 36 minutes:

MrYowler said:
I also know that most people in programming forums, who are not from Pakistan or India, respond poorly to people from those places ...

I also disagree with this racial stereotyping - it is not my experience at this or any other forums I participate in or moderate. If I came across a forum like that I would leave and find another as it is clearly not properly moderated. This forum has a large number of participants from all over the world and as long as they try to make themselves understood, people's language difficulties and cultural differences are widely tolerated.

Keith.

You can download a fourm software. It is simple. If you desdign it yourself. I think it is a huge task.

You can look at my fourm
**broken link removed**

I make it a few days. But do not have people visit and make post, I am puzzled.

goodscool said:
I make it a few days. But do not have people visit and make post, I am puzzled.

I think there are so many forums out there it is difficult for them to reach the critical number of members which makes it work. Until some discussions start and it appears that there are a reasonable number of member, no-one wants to start a discussion.

I don't know the answer! Maybe putting posts containing useful information related to the forum may get things started.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back