Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a Dhrystone MIPS and how to calculate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

123music

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is Dhrystone MIPS?How do we calculate them?

What is the reason for using this?

Pl clarify.

Dhrystone MIPS

It is a somewhat outdated benchmarking technique.

It was designed to test older computer systems but it may give some interesting results on modern systems if compiled and run correctly.

I think I read somewhere that Weicker thought it was now redundant.

Re: Dhrystone MIPS

Rob B said:
It is a somewhat outdated benchmarking technique.

It was designed to test older computer systems but it may give some interesting results on modern systems if compiled and run correctly.

I think I read somewhere that Weicker thought it was now redundant.

I am seeing the new processors performance is expressed in this.
I saw TMS570 is supporting more than 250DMIPS.

What does 250DMIPS mean?? How do we calculate that?

Dhrystone MIPS

There is a version here:

**broken link removed**

The TMS570 documentation might explain how the DMIPS were determined.

Dhrystone MIPS

Hi,
Take a look at this:
**broken link removed**

Quoted from the above link:
MIPS isn't generally considered a useful measure of performance - it's typically quoted based on choosing the fastest (likely one of the least capable) instructions on a machine, with no regard to the capabilities of that machine. Consider, if I built a machine that could only execute NOP, but could execute 200 million NOPs a second, it would be a 200 MIPS machine, however, if I built an entire fully feature CPU that could execute only 100 million NOPs per second (and NOP was the fastest instruction) but could also execute loads, stores, adds, multiplies etc. etc., it would be a 100 MIPS machine - however, the NOP-only machine appears (using the MIPS measure) to be twice as "good" despite being useless.

DMIPS is based on the time taken to execute a particular benchmark, something which might be considered representative of a real workload, namely Dhrystone. The DMIPS figure for a given machine is the relative speed a VAX 11/780 (a particular "1 MIPS" machine) would have to run at to complete the benchmark in the same amount of time as the machine being measured. For example, if a 100MHz CPU completes the benchmark 200 times faster than the VAX 11/780 does, then it would be considered a 200 DMIPS machine. For CPUs that can be run at various frequencies, then you'll often see this value reported divided through by MHz, e.g. 2 DMIPS/MHz in this example.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back