Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What if earths magnetic axis changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravibg

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this question eating my head.Will there be any change in the behaviour of electonic instruments,if there was some kind of techtonic activity and earths magnetic axis were to change.

Well, since direction is pretty much measured relative to the poles, I would think that the effect would be minimal since all devices would tell direction relative to the pole. The absolute bearings would be off, but it wouldn't matter since everything is shifted.

There are exceptional circumstances of course.

I really dont think it would afect in any way, the magnetic and electric field generatec by electronic circuits are too strong, or u see every magnetic field on tranformers facing the same direction???

If you put a circuit in a different position it works the exact same way, regardless of the magnetic axis of the earth, dont you think?

You can do a test for yourself. Take your favorite electronic device and rotate it about all three axis directions. Did it have any different functionality?

It would be an underwater world then!

I don't think it will affect the functionality in anyway.

The magnetic poles of the Earth are changing right now. Taking into consideration all known history of Earth (regarding this matter, of course), the magnetic poles are changing periodically, and the average calculated period between two inversions is around 200.000 years. Guess what, the last change was 700.000 years ago. A magnetic poles inversion begins with a chaotic and strange behavior of all magnetic field, and first steps are a decreasing in the fiend intensity. Considering the measurements done over last approx. 300 years, the field intensity dropped with 10%. When the process of inversion is at its peak, more than two magnetic poles, perhaps over 6 can walk around the surface of Earths, and a aurora borealis seen over the Paris for example, may not be such an unusual event. The whole inversion process appears to take approx. 1000 years.

/pisoiu

Anybody remember the tangent galvanometer? This is a compass inside a coil. The earth's magnetic field is the restoring force, and the current to be measured is passed through the coil.

The tangent of the angle of deflection of the compass needle is proportional to the current, hence the name.

I can imagine that all tangent galvanometers will need to be moved around 180 deg., and frequently recalibrated if the earth's magnetic poles were to wander around.

pisoiu said:
The magnetic poles of the Earth are changing right now. Taking into consideration all known history of Earth (regarding this matter, of course), the magnetic poles are changing periodically, and the average calculated period between two inversions is around 200.000 years. Guess what, the last change was 700.000 years ago. A magnetic poles inversion begins with a chaotic and strange behavior of all magnetic field, and first steps are a decreasing in the fiend intensity. Considering the measurements done over last approx. 300 years, the field intensity dropped with 10%. When the process of inversion is at its peak, more than two magnetic poles, perhaps over 6 can walk around the surface of Earths, and a aurora borealis seen over the Paris for example, may not be such an unusual event. The whole inversion process appears to take approx. 1000 years.

/pisoiu

Does this mean for the next 5 centuries or so we are still ok to use 741 opamp? Kidding!

If you live in Alaska you may have the chance to see aurora's at least 100 times a year. Same thing can be said for Antarctics.

No kidding this magnetic field protect us from solar winds.

Since we are way overdue for a reversal, it may take place more rapidly this time. Another unusual thing going on is the sunspots which are not following the usual 11 year cycle and the cycle of cycles. I have heard that there is also more radiation or particle flux from the sun than usual.

The wolfer sunspots must be erratic even previous data may give some clue of some periodicity. Sunspot numbers must obey some Possion distribution and that is known the most mathematical appproximation approach we have for explosions on earth.

Flatulent and you others do not worry guys about the sun. It is not affected absolutely at all by whatever we do on Earth. Just worry for the atmosphere. We have holes of ozone. Auroras cause in Poles burn the gases in atmosphere. Just think Tesla coil flares.

I am not worried. There are more serious things going on now. One upcoming problem is the rising population vs. the fixed (and possibly declining) water supply. Something is going to have to give.

Another problem comes from what biologists call the "carrying capacity" of the land. Whenever this is exceed, nature invents some new disease or drought to bring the population back down. We may invent new medicines, but nature always wins in the long run.

If the magnetic poles were to wander too far from the axis of the planet (which I doubt the mechanics of the situation would allow) we might see the radiation belt acting like cyclotrons for solar particles, a problem if the poles show up somewhere habitable.

But if not, then let them roam! We don't need no stinking magnetic field to tell us where north is. Lets command magnetic north to pass through Mecca, so Muslims world wide can find it with just a compass.

I don't know if Santa Claus would have to move to the West Pole.

The poles can move all over. They are caused by the liquid iron core of the earth rotating.

cherrytart said:
But if not, then let them roam! We don't need no stinking magnetic field to tell us where north is. Lets command magnetic north to pass through Mecca, so Muslims world wide can find it with just a compass.

hmmm.

First because this is a science-based forum this stinking magnetic field is so important to your existence on this planet.

Believe it. Who cares, at least I can show Mars see it and believe it. Mars does not have a stinking-magnetic field. Have a look at Mars.

Second what is Mecca has to do with all this?

Guys, do not mix science with religion. It is assumed that Mars had somewhere in the past its own athmosphere, but due to lack of magnetic field, the atmosphere was slowly blowed into the space by the solar winds. The magnetic field is so important because it protect us from whatever comes from space to us. Also, it is important in the life of many species. How pigeons find their way home? This reversal will affect the human specias in a unique way, and perhaps for many of us even disastruous way. Human kind never experienced such events in the known history. Even what is happening with the weather in the last years is stinking and it is definetely unusual. One cause may be the pollution, but I do not think it is the only one. My mother's garden was hardly hailed twice in the past two months, this year, and once in the summer of last year, and this has not happened in my area since I was born.

/pisoiu

cherrytart wrote:

Please refrain using religion in this forum . I believe religion and science do not go hand in hand.

Hello pisoiu,

pisoiu said:
It is assumed that Mars had somewhere in the past its own athmosphere, but due to lack of magnetic field, the atmosphere was slowly blowed into the space by the solar winds.

I always thought Mars had no atmosphere because it does not have enough gravity to hold one - nearly, but not quite. Thus, as the outgassing slowed down, the atmosphere it created slowly expanded into space.

I may be wrong though. I would be interested if you have any references for the solar wind theory. I studied a little planetary geology at university on my Geochemistry degree, but most is unfortunately forgotten now.

Certainly Mars has a solid core and this is cited as the reason it has no magnetic field.

Another effected animal may be bees and similar insects. They supposedly use the magnetic field for navigation (they can be permenantly confused by a powerful magnet I believe) and pollinate our food crops. Probably if the change happens slowly they will adapt as it changes.

Personally, I think the changes we are causing, both by pollution and simply by over-crowding the planet are far more of a concern. The weather now is completely different to when I was young. I have always lived in the same area and have observed the changes year by year. We used to have deep snow every year here and roasting hot summers. Now, the seasons are milder and less distinct. Definately little or no snow in Winter and the Summers are getting cooler and wetter from increased cloud cover and wind. This Summer has been the wettest I can remember.

I would like to be around to see what effects the pole reversal has but I doubt I will be. I would also like to be around in 20 million years to see our galaxy from a better vantage point above it. Oh, well.

FoxyRick.

Have a look, many side links

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back