Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What exactly is WinAPI and how to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmos babe

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
WinAPI newbie questions

Can someone explain to me what exactly WinAPI is...How can I use it?

Thanks

Re: WinAPI newbie questions

api = application programming interface .

System resource of the computers are under the control of operating system. To access and to do something on this resources Operating sytems have built in functions . for example to open a file on harddisk or open communication on serila ports . api are group of functions on the top pf OS to access and programm resources.

API is the specs of software provider.
The consumer can use those functions to do what they want if the provider has provide them.

WinAPI newbie questions

Hi,
the meaning of API is pretty clear from the above replies, so WinAPI is Windows OS API's i,e the functions exposed by Windows OS to application programs, using these functions you can read files, write files and perform a lot of operations that require your application program to interact with the OS.
In Windows, you have the API grouped into sections such as the api's related to files,console's, drawing etc.....,
so depending on which api you want to use and purpose, you can look up that api in msdn and include the appropriate header file and if required its lib file and call the function(API) in your application and have the desired job achieved.

hope that clears your doubt.

I feel MSDN is the best source for that...

WinAPI newbie questions

Hi,

There are 3 important kernel module on win os.
kernel32.dll
user32.dll
gdi32.dll
Wanna use functions provided by these dll???
If yes! Use Win32 API to access.

How to use those API functions?
1.Charles Petzold,Programming Windows 5e
2.Jeffrey Ritcher,Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows 4e
3.MSDN

Good Luck

The Windows API (also refered to as Win32 API) is C-based. There are other libraries such as MFC which are a C++ abstraction layer for the API.
A good tutorial introduction to the API is at w ww.winprog.net/tutorial/

The main entry point to the API is the #include <windows.h>, there are other header files too but the majority of API functions can be accessed through windows.h

To download the API all you need to get is the Platform SDK w ww.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/XPSP2FULLInstall.htm

You will also need a C/C++ compiler to use the headers and libraries, I'd recommend the free Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit at msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

- Jayson

win api is nothing but it contains some internal functions........like in our c printf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back