Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What exactly is the tilt sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asic1984

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is tilt sensor?

hi all

what is tilt sensor?

Re: what is tilt sensor?

This measures the change of orientation of some object or place. In oil well work, the pump high pressure water into the well and tilt sensors back up at the surface of the earth indicate where the water is going horizontally. This overall procedure is used to make cracks in the rock layers and let the oil flow more freely into the vertical hole so it can be pumped out more rapidly.

Look here for more info on tilt sensors:
**broken link removed**

hi

thanks too much for your help

i am doing an rc plane project .......and i need to measure the rotation around the 3 axis so what do i use (tilt or inclonmeter or accelerometer)

Accelerometers will do the job.
Look in Analog Devices site:
**broken link removed**
Choose dual-axis for XY and single axis for Z (Low-g sdelection).

asic1984

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

hi

thanks too much for your help

but can u explain the ((Low-g sdelection)..............what is g........because i see it but i donoot understand :sm11:

thanks too much

Added after 36 minutes:

hi

is there a specific type for the z axis or can any single axis accelrometer do the job?

Low g means "small acceleration" (acceleration in small vibration and tilt...) g - gravitational acceleration constant ~ 9.8m/s^2

hope this helps,
//a

hi

does this mean that when the product has a range of 2g it can meaures at maximum 2*9.8 m/sec^2?

Any accelerometer can by used for Z-axis. In fact you can use singles for all 3 directions. I think they have 3-axis accelerometer - the ADXL-05 - but it looks it is obsolete ..

2g = 2 x 9.81 .. 5g = 5 x 9.81 etc.
If you don't expect higher acceleration you can select 2g; I think safer will be 5g..
After all you probably don't need 0.1° accuracy .. do you?

hi

Any accelerometer can by used for Z-axis. In fact you can use singles for all 3 directions. I think they have 3-axis accelerometer - the ADXL-05 - but it looks it is obsolete ..

is this alos for tilt sensor that i can use 3 single axis for the 3 axis or i had to use a specific one for z axis

thanks for help

hi

can also the gyroscope be used for any axis? or just for z-axis

and do any one know a site that sell gyros 2-axis or 3-axis

thanks for help

In standard applications a gyroscope gives you two-axis orientation: 0 - 360° (similar to a compass).
3 accelerometers will give you 3-axis readings.
I think you should stick with this arrangement..

hi

do u mean that i use 2-axis gyros and 3-acclerometers

No, what I meant was that 3 accelerometers can do the job. Fulll stop.
You do not need anythig else..

asic1984

hi

thanks too much IanP for your help ...u are a very helpful person :sm28:

but in my application uav rc plane .........i may need to calculate the degree of rotation around an axis ..........i read in the data sheet of accelerometer that it can be use as tilt by the equation a=asin(Vx/1g) where Vx is the voltage represnt the accleration around the x axis ..............so can this equation be calculated easly in pic knowing that i am using pic18f452 in my graduate project

i donnot know really if i will need in the system of the rc plane to calculate the acceleration around the axis or the degree of rotation only

You just need to measure rotation and if you apply Low Pass Filter to the accelerometer output you will be able to filter out anything else except rotation component.

For calculation purposes I would use a "look up table". You can create it by calculating values using a calculator or PC, or you can build a circuit with single-axis accelerometer and measure values for every degree of displacement.
(Implementation of this equasion on PIC can be rather complicated)..

asic1984

hi

IanP the idea of look up table is very good idea ....i donnot know how thank u

but i didnot understand
You just need to measure rotation and if you apply Low Pass Filter to the accelerometer output you will be able to filter out anything else except rotation component

do u mean that the output of accelerometer which is the value of accleration of rotation when applied to a low-pass filter .....it will output rotation value?

What I mean is that the LPF will cut off spikes or pulses created by sudden acceleration and will give sort of average voltage which can be then converted by A/D and used for tilt calculations..

hi

thanks IanP for your help but i just need to ask more question

does gyros like accelerometers can can be used in any axis

i ask that because i may try to test them too

thanks for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back