Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeel.sid

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
??Modulation is performed at baseband frequency???
What this explains??
the sentence shows that modulation can be performed at some other frequency!
Is that true?
Thanks in Advance
Regards,
Adeel

I think they are referring to the fact that modulation is occurring at a lower frequency than the transmission.
You can modulate a lower frequency carrier and then increase or decrease the frequency prior to transmission with non-linear mixing with another frequency. This is commonly done to simplify the design. The modulator section operates at a fixed frequency and does not have to be retuned to change transmission channels. Only the mixer stage requires adjustment to change transmission channels.
As a simple example, lets say that I modulate a 10MHZ carrier and I want to transmit at 100MHZ. I could use a crystal oscillator to form a 90MHZ continuous wave signal and then combine the 10MHZ modulated carrier and the 90MHZ sine wave in a mixer. The output would be the individual frequencies, their sum and their difference. Since I am interested in 100MHZ, I then filter out everything but their sum. Now, if the next channel I want to transmit on is at 110MHZ, all I have to do is change the crystal and retune the output filter. The modulator remains unchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back