Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does the rating on speaker mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scream_er

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a speaker which has 8ohms and 0.5W written at the back. What does that mean? From this can I calculate the max or min voltage or current the speaker can take?

You have power = 0.5 W and resistance = 8 ohms , so by P=( I^2) . R , you get I = 0.25 ampere and V=2 Volts. It means that your speaker has power capacity of 0.5 watts with 8 ohm resistance load.

Last edited:

Also note that a typical 8 ohm speaker doesn't have a constant 8 ohm impedance.
See how a typical speaker impedance vs frequency looks like

see how a 8 ohm (blue) and 4 ohm (red) impedance graph looks like

ImpedanceChart.jpg

Home Toys Article - Speaker Impedance, Your Amplifier And You.

It means that the impedance of the speaker is 8ohm while the power rating is 0.5watts.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

It means that the impedance is 8ohms and the power is 0.5watts. You can calculate the voltage and current using the normal ohm's law.

So anyway, I want to know what rating of speaker I need to connect to an amplification circuit that can output 5V maximum. More specifically 0V to 5V. The voltage of a 0.5W and 8ohm speaker is 2V, so i guess that means the speaker will be blown if I use it?

I want to know what rating of speaker I need to connect to an amplification circuit that can output 5V maximum.
That depends on whether 5V is peak to peak, peak or r.m.s.

If peak to peak, i.e. 1.77Vrms, that's 0.4W in 8 ohms, so your 0.5W 'speaker would be suitable.

If it's pk, i.e. 3.535Vr.m.s., that's 1.56W in 8 ohms.

And, if it's r.m.s., that's a bit over 3W in 8 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back