Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does the %ICAS% command in the Gerber 274X files do

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL0117

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gerber asaxby

Hi all,

Does any1 know what the %ICAS% command in the Gerber 274X files do?
I haven't found any relevant info in the RS274 specs about this command, also my internet search doesn't lead to any usable information.

Your info is welcomed.

regards,
Al

Re: Gerber %ICAS% Command

The "%" sign on both sides means this is a comment, not a command. My guess is that you are seeing this as one of the first couple of lines in the Gerber file. In which case it is most likely a reference to the software or company that produced the Gerber file.

It is not anything you need to worry about - it doesn't change the Gerber output in any way.

Hi fellows,

At the beginning of the file, there are the so called "parameters", each began with % and ends with *%, like %FSLAX23Y23*% or %MOIN*%.
The %ICAS*% is probably a parameter too, but is not documented in any description what I have found till now. I made a gerber viewer for my own use, and I found errors opening some of the gerber files, the reason was the
uninterpreted %ICAS*% statement. For the moment I skip this one, it seems that has no effect on the content, however, I would know what it mean.
The comments begin with *G04 , like "*G04 EXAMPLE".

Anyway, 10x for your input,

Al

Yes, G04 is used for remarks. However, some Gerber engines use custom parameters. Those parameters are beyond the definition of RS274D or RS274X.
They are comments specific to a particular developer, and have no meaning to other Gerber interpretations.

An example:
%INC:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ANALOG\PCB\ANALOG.DRD*%
%ICAS*%

%MOIN*%
%IPPOS*%
%ASAXBY*%
%FSLAN2X23Y23*%

Someday you may find someone who knows the significance to the ICAS entry. However, it has no function in a standard Gerber interpreter. It can be ignored or deleted safely. I've been doing it for decades without consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back