Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does ppm stand for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyyau

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is "ppm"

When talking about temperature coefficient of electronic components, they are always specified in ppm.

What is it? Please give a explanation.

Thanks!

Re: What is "ppm"

ppm=parts per million

would u please give us a clear example abt PPM meaning

If a componennt has 100ppm temp. coeficient it means that if the temperature will change with 1 degree celsius from a reference temperature then the value of the component will change with 100ppm which means with +/- 0.0001xcomponent value.

For example a resistor of 100k will become 100k +/-10 R (100,000x0.0001)

David

example for 1 p p m :

i measure a lenght of 1 000 000 meters and i have an error of 1 meter !!

thrue length is 9 999 999 < value < 1 000 001 ...

for 2 p p m

thrue lenght is 9 999 998 < value < 1 000 002

and ....

6 * F

history

As science developed and measurements and manufacturing became more precise, the characterization of error less than 1% when expressed in % had a lot of leading zeros. In order to make the numbers more manageable, parts per million were introduced. When things became more precise parts in 10^n type formats were introduced.

This measurement can also be used to show the ratio of a small quantity mixed in a larger quantity, either by number of molecules or by weight. Gas detectors are rated in the ppm concentrations they can detect.

mtawab74 - i do switchers... as for seminars. - sure i have some - what have you read? i can probably send you some stuff, but unless you like switchers it's not too interesting.

ppm is part per millions.
is an specification for devices that said the quality.
Ex. the oscillator is +-50ppm means that if your frequency is 10 mhz you can have an error of +- 500 Hz.
Bye

1PPM=1/1000000;
Example:+/-50PPM means that the actul value may be
(x)-(50/1000000)*(x)<=(x)<=(x)+(50/1000000)*(x);

if you call x is your expect value,
y is your real value
so ppm = abs(x-y)/x

another thing to remember is that PPM is a linear relationship. in simulation software you find this as the "linear temperature coefficient". there are quadratic and exponential temperature coefficients too.

but datasheets usually have only the linear relationship

Mr.Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back