Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does microcontroller do when its powered on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothmct

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What does Microcontroller do when its powered on? Does the oscillator gives out clock signals and it executed instructions or what it does . I wish to know the flow . Can anybody help me ?

when it powered on if it have any program in it it start exciting it and start form main(), and if it dose not have the program init it goes in the ideal mode ....

what exactly you want to know???

Ismail

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What does Microcontroller do when its powered on? Does the oscillator gives out clock signals and it executed instructions or what it does . I wish to know the flow . Can anybody help me ?

You have to do some reading, and a good place to start it is WIKIPEDIA ..
Here is a link to a section called MICROARCHITECTURE – instruction cycle ..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microarchitecture

:wink:
IanP

During power-up the oszillator starts up and internal logic needs to hold the microcontroller in a RESET-mode until the supply voltage is at the minimum level, the oszillator is running stable and internal registers are set to a defined state. Then the microcode excecution is started at a fixed address and performs the define start-up sequence and starts then execution of the macroinstruction(this is the programm you usually can do with the assembler).

Enjoy your design work!

when it powered on if it have any program in it it start exciting it and start form main(), and if it dose not have the program init it goes in the ideal mode ....

what exactly you want to know???

Ismail

What it does on POR and the steps it does in bootloader

I wish to know where data segment is implemented? Is it in RAM or ROM/Flash?

Our local variables are stored in stack which is implemented in RAM .

static , global variables are stored in data segmented is it implemnted in RAM? Is it so ? If will it lose contents when power is turned off?

Heap is implemented in RAM or Flash?

See here for an explanation on this.
There was a time when there were many books describing how a computer works (a microcontroller is a
computer). If you can find this book (rather old) in a library, it would help.

As IanP suggested some in-depth reading is needed to understand all these topics you have posted.

The following is PIC microcontroller specific, however much of the information can be applied to other microcontrollers:

MikroE Book: PIC Microcontrollers

The following is an in-depth look at the booting process of microcontroller, however it maybe a bit advanced:

Understanding embedded-system-boot techniques

Study the first link and then post any additional question you may have.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.