Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does mean Punch, Route and Hand Cut regarding to PCB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladZ

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
choosing pcb punching or routing

Explain me, please,
What does mean Punch, Route and Hand Cut regarding to PCB outline ?
English is not my native language, so I don't understand cleraly these definition.
When I order Route PCB ouline, will I obatin from manufacturer several PCBs joined in one FR4 sheet (panlized PCBs) ? As I understand in this case I have to cut it myself ?
Is the Hand Cutting the same as milling ?
What sould I choose to obtain milled separated PCBs ?

thanks
vladz

meanings

Punch means that a tool of the same shape as the hole size is pressed onto the board and it produces the hole all at once. Cookies are cut out of dough like this.

Route means that a tool that rotates and has cutting edges is moved side ways to make an elongated hole.

Hand cut means like using scissors to cut the board in two.

Could also refer to board edge.

Punch - The board is "punched" cookie cutter style (good analogy Flatulent) with a hardened steel tool. This is typically only done on single layer non-fiberglass composition PC boards. Its the cheapest if you are doing truckloads of boards.

Route - Each board is cut out of the panel with a high speed tool. This produces a very clean/smooth board edge, but can add cost to the board because of the additional mfg. time required.

Hand Cut - Not sure, but this could be what I would call "scored". You get a full panel (multiple boards on one sheet) from the fab house. Each board edge is defined by score lines which can be broken by hand with minimal effort. This only works if the board is rectangular in shape, otherwise you get into a combination of score and route.

Hope that helps,

Layoutdude

Thanks a lot for explanations . Now it is clearly for me.

vladz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back