Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does LAYER in OSI model exactly refer to........

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakesh_aadhimoolam

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i don't really understand What does LAYER in OSI model exactly refer to........

plz help me understand......

thanks.........

good question
and the answer is a layer is just a level of abstraction and these layers as such doesn't physically exist!!!!!!

hi rakesh_aadhimoolam:

the OSI LAYERED model from ISO refers to a set of tasks that must be acomplished in order to make the telecommunications system works.

every LAYER groups a susbset of tasks that have things in common. The model is for abstraction, that is right, but every LAYER has well defined task to do. Studying this in function of the tasks helps to understand better the model....

regards.

the seven osi layer is a reference to design a network. But nowadays it usually used to understand the basic of the network design and how to troubleshooting. Nowadays we usually use tcp/ip layer. It's more practical than osi layer i quess.
Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks

The OSI Model is just a reference model for making communication systems work. You can modify it according to your requirements. There is no exact working model as described by OSI. One example which tries to emulate OSI model is the model of TCP/IP. Some layers of OSI are combined to get one layer of TCP/IP.

Layers have no physical existence. They are just to explain implementation of Network theory as well as protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.