Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does it mean by output 5v 350mA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somphorn

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all!

This is pertaining to the label indicating the output of mobile phone chargers, computer power supply units, etc.

When it says (for example) "output 5v 350mA", does it mean:

a) It is capable of delivering current UP TO a maximum of 350mA. Whereby if the target circuit is drawing 100mA it will provide 100mA only and not more.

OR...

b) It is capable of delivering current AT ONLY 350mA. If the target circuit requires (and can only accept) 100mA, the charger would still feed 350mA into the target circuit.

If the target circuit requires 500mA, would the charger:

a) Supply the 350mA without damage to itself.

OR...

b) See the target circuit as a very low resistance load (short circuit) and eventually get damaged.

Any help is appreciated. It would be even better if someone could give me the correct keyword for Google search so that I can read it up myself. Nowadays whenever I search with electronics terms as keyword Google would return sites that sell things.

Somphorn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back