Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does "FB23 220R" mean next to an inductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbskw

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am reading a schematic and noticed an inductor symbol that said "FB23 220R" next to it.
What does this mean? I cannot find any inductor that has part# FB23, and I thought 220R would be for resistance, not inductance.

Hi,

maybe you should show us the picture/schematic you have seen.

Klaus

Last edited:

FB23 is probably the reference designator. 220 micro Henry, maybe.

Actually it's probably a ferrite bead with 220 ohm impedance , or maybe 22 ohm.

I am reading a schematic and noticed an inductor symbol that said "FB23 220R" next to it.
Most SMD ferrite beads are specified by their resistance. If you are reading a schematic, look for FB22 or FB21 etc. If you can locate them, it may just be a component identifier (23 being a serial number). These SMD components do not have inductance values explicitly specified. They suppress high frequency noise reasonably well.

220R at 100Mhz.
This is ferrtie bead. Like inductor but core lost + wire lost follow frequency of current through it.
It use for filter noise in a specific of frequency range.
Does not effect with small dc current.
Higher xxxR value will make dc resistance increase ,then dc acceptable current is smaller.
Most SMD ferrite beads are specified by their resistance. If you are reading a schematic, look for FB22 or FB21 etc. If you can locate them, it may just be a component identifier (23 being a serial number). These SMD components do not have inductance values explicitly specified. They suppress high frequency noise reasonably well.
"high frequency" - that is only half story.
If frequency higher max frequency, its impedance reduce.
Select correct ferrite bead only apply for a frequency range.
Insert ferrite bead can reduce high frequency is true. In other side it also increase amplitude of basic(low) frequency. Need a damper RC or R // RB to reduce this ringing to build the best filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.