Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] what does audio channel really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahidalam

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am new to DSP. So please excuse me for my ignorance.

What does audio channels really mean? For example, if we say that X is stereo audio that means it is 2 channel.
What do we really mean by that? Is it like 2 different streams? If yes, then how they are stored in memory?

Nahid

A channel is something through which data(in the form of electro magnetic data or electric current or other wave) signal travels from source to destination.

Physically a audio channel can be said as a simple wire through which electrical signal is propagated. This signal is analog in nature and contain many frequencies.

In the case of sterio audio we have two channels. A sterio audio is recorded by using two different micro phones. So we have to set of data. This data is played using sterio head phone which has two speakers. You must have noticed that in your earphone, two small speakers are there, one denoted by Right and another for left.

just what was in my mind.. may have some technical errors...

Thanks vipinlal.

Then what about 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel
Can't we hear all the channel outputs of them using the earphone?

got it. if you are using 5.1 or 7.1 channel and using earplug, the effect processing hardware/software will downmix it

Reactions: kunu

kunu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back